Add water sampling data to features in ArcMap

Jump to solution
09-04-2018 10:07 AM
AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

I work for a Utility company and we currently have 12 different water quality sites set up along different water bodies around the area. I am trying to find the best way to link the results of the testing with the associated sites in ArcMap. Ultimately I would like to be able to publish this data to ArcGIS online and have the popups configured so that when you click on the sampling sites, the results would show up.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdApalinski
Occasional Contributor

You can set up the feature class and related table in a geodatabase with a relationship class.  From there you can either use ArcGIS Server to publish a REST service or use ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro to publish a hosted feature service in Arc GIS online.  Add the service to a web map, you can view the related rows in the map using the attribute table viewer.  You can also create a web app using the Web App Builder in AGO where you can view the results in the features pop-up.  This link has information on configuring the pop-up and a link to help with setting up the relationship in desktop. Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS .  

Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EdApalinski
Occasional Contributor

You can set up the feature class and related table in a geodatabase with a relationship class.  From there you can either use ArcGIS Server to publish a REST service or use ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro to publish a hosted feature service in Arc GIS online.  Add the service to a web map, you can view the related rows in the map using the attribute table viewer.  You can also create a web app using the Web App Builder in AGO where you can view the results in the features pop-up.  This link has information on configuring the pop-up and a link to help with setting up the relationship in desktop. Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS .  

Cheers!

AlexGodfrey
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! That worked great. The only problem i have now is that for some reason when I publish to ArcGIS Online, the dates on the related table are one day off. Example: In my table on ArcMap  I have one test result for 7/25/2018 but when i publish the map the related data in the map viewer popup show as 7/24/2018 at 7:00 pm. I did not have a time attached and it is showing one day earlier. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
EdApalinski
Occasional Contributor

Glad to hear!  I do have a thought why you got the result.  AGO uses UTC for date/time and will default to midnight when a time is not specified, so midnight on 7/25/2018 is converted to UTC by subtracting 5 hours based on Eastern Daylight Savings time zone (which I am assuming you are located in based on your results).  The best advice I have for correcting this; in ArcMap prior to publishing, open the layer properties and click on the Time tab, enable time and in the Advanced settings section set the Time Zone.  The funky thing is when you open the service in the web map time will be enabled by default so your data may not display.  You can disable the time in the layer properties in the web map to have all the data display.  I found this work around some time ago so there may be a better way in the current AGO. 

A simple solution would be to put the date in a text field so AGO does not convert it.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos