Add users from another Org to a group in bulk and without requiring an accept?

Jump to solution
03-02-2017 09:57 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I need at add about 75 users from another Org to a group in my Org.  I can only seem to add one by one in the Invite users box.  Do not really want to do 75 one by one.  There may be a script way but its a one time thing so..

Also in the invite users box the check box for Add members immediately with requiring conformation is grayed out if I go outside my Org.  This would require all 75 users to go in and accept before then can see content.  I would like this extra step.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, you can't automatically add users from another organization to your group, as joining the group requires user permission/accepting the invitation. We are doing some work on Groups, so this feedback is very helpful. There are a few ideas on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=04acafd8-a33f-4d29-9d6b-a0560c7...‌ about groups, but it would be helpful if you could add this specific feedback as a new idea and continue the discussion.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I think you might be able to share from Org to Org now (This is functionality that was demonstrated at the ESRI 2017 Federal GIS Users Conference).  Maybe other users can chime in or you can contact technical support about this new capability.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would second trying that first.  There was an update overnight.  Check out the various blogs.

March 2017 Release | ArcGIS Blog 

edit: more specifically

What’s New in ArcGIS Online (March 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

and What's new—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS   (the help doc)

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes I can share to another Org but only via a group.  I read all the changes and nothing about sharing to another Org that I see.

Organization administration

• Administrators can now configure an optional Shared Theme to support consistent branding of web apps and Open Data sites created by members of the organization.
  • Four new privileges are available for custom roles. Members can now be assigned the privilege to create and own groups that allow members to update all items in the group, a privilege previously reserved for default administrators. Privileges to view organization members, view content shared with the organization, and view groups shared with the organization have also been added. Together, these privileges allow organizations to limit access to content for some members by giving them only view access to content shared with them through groups to which they belong. To take advantage of one or more of these new privileges in an existing custom role, edit the role, add the new privilege, and the save the role.
  • Administrators can now assign groups and credit limits to members during the invitation process.
  • Organizations that use enterprise logins can now automatically synchronize member profiles with the latest account information from the identity provider
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, you can't automatically add users from another organization to your group, as joining the group requires user permission/accepting the invitation. We are doing some work on Groups, so this feedback is very helpful. There are a few ideas on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=04acafd8-a33f-4d29-9d6b-a0560c7...‌ about groups, but it would be helpful if you could add this specific feedback as a new idea and continue the discussion.

-Kelly

JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Kelly,

Can you Add/Remove users within the same Organization in bulk? I am also looking to Add/Remove users within the same Organization in bulk via a script, to not have to do this manually.

Juan

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
JuanLuera3
New Contributor III

Doug,

Thanks for the link you provided. I have looked at Geo-jobe but they say their tools and options "Free" but really are not "Free".

I am looking for something that is Esri based, since AGOL is Esri based as an option. Thanks, Doug!

Juan

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have used several parts of it for free but yes some parts are not.  Was not sure which parts are free.  I use it to export a full list of users for free and it works great.

The issue I could not solve is adding all of Org 1 to a group in Org 2.  I have to manually put in each user from Org 1 one by one (77 times).  Then the user must go in and accept the invitation.  If they do not within 15 days then I have to type them all in again (done it 3 times now).

Have you looked at the new Python API package?  You can add users in bulk with it if you are ok with Python.  I think they have some samples.   Accessing and managing users | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Doug,

When inviting a user from another organization to a group, they must accept the invitation. There is no auto add available.

Juan, definitely look into constructing something with the ArcGIS Python API. There are built in functions for adding and removing layers. Here is a link to a script I have online for bulk deleting users and their content. Be warned. This will delete all of a users content and the user from and organization. These actions cannot be reversed. Ensure you investigate the script and test it out for your use before running it on a production organization. The purpose of the script was for testing environments where content did not matter and it has some other users.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ff0e8a1b546d42eab1c4fc39b36019af 

- Kelly

0 Kudos