Add SD file as an Item fails when trying to publish as a feature service

05-20-2013 10:25 PM
AndrewLangdon
New Contributor II
Hi there
Weird workflow i know, but,

4 step publish workflow that goes wrong.
Open feature class in Desktop >> create an SD file containing the data >> Publish SD to ArcGIS online >> Publish SD as a service

I can successfully create an SD file that contains the data from a feature class using Desktop 10.1sp1. When i try to Add the SD file as an Item in ArcGIS Online and check 'Publish this file as a service', it fails and gives me the error "Unable to publish item. This Item 'd56036d890f646d4b07d22475a49d714' can't be published to Online Service". If I don't check the box, the SD file is uploaded and the thumbnail image actually shows my data, but on the SD file item details form - there's no publish button for the service!

Any help will get a gold star.

regards
Andrew
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
How are you creating the SD file?
How are you uploading it to ArcGIS Online?

SD files have to be authored explicitly for the server they will run on. An SD file that can be published to ArcGIS Server is not the same as an SD File that can be published to ArcGIS Online.

Is there a specific reason you're creating an SD file first? You can publish directly to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap as follows:

Open your map.
From the File menu of ArcMap, sign in to ArcGIS Online.
From the File menu, choose Share as > Service.
Choose Publish a service
Choose a Connection, specify "My Hosted Services"
Step through the wizard to publish your service.

Alternatively, to create an SD file that can later be uploaded directly to My Content, you need to author the SD specifically for ArcGIS Online.

From the file menu, choose Share as> Service.
Choose Save a service definition file
Choose a connection: "My Hosted Services"
The file that gets created can now be uploaded to My Content in ArcGIS.com

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos