Add Highway Symbols to AGOL with Arcade

06-11-2020 11:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are there examples for adding highway markers as labels in AGOL?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi GibbyAR ,

Although not exactly what you are looking for (pop-up and not label), the example by Esri Netherlands is pretty cool:

Combining Arcade and HTML for a Real-life Pop-up Display 

What exactly are you looking for?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Xander.

Ideally, I’d like to use Arcade to define a symbol or label class to place shields on road features for both Interstates and US Highways. I see zero documentation for how to do this in AGOL.

r

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Russell Gibson ,

For ArcGIS Pro there is a support article indicating how to create the label classes and apply the correct symbology: How To: Label highways with a shield marker containing the highway number in ArcGIS Pro .

In ArcGIS Online, this is a lot more restricted. In the current web map you cannot create label classes and labeling of lines is restricted to a text. The new (beta) web map does allow you to create label classes, but still you can only create a text for a line. You will need points (which will make it difficult to show the correct one depending the view scale and extent) and place a label on top of it. I don't see how it would be possible to do this correctly in ArcGIS Online.

Maybe there is a service in the Living Atlas that contains the highway shields that you can consume directly.

0 Kudos