Select to view content in your preferred language

Add a New Var w/o New Layer

08-07-2020 04:01 PM
Lindsey_Whittington
New Contributor II

Very new to ArcGIS so sorry if this is a dumb question.

We are trying to add a new variable to a series of maps that have already been created, formatted, etc. I have tried doing this by merging the new variable using our unique key in "Append Data" but am unable to see the new variable in the var list when I do that. Any ideas? Using Arcade.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lindsey Whittington ,

There is not much that I can do if the error cannot reproduced. You mention the entire expression and probably only change the description in the header of the text returned by the expression. Sorry to hear that this is sometimes resulting in an error, but I don't think you are doing something wrong. 

0 Kudos
Lindsey_Whittington
New Contributor II

HOLD UP - I think I figured it out lol! Is it literally that I just need to have the layer turned on when I am doing this?? (face palm)

Xander Bakker‌ you have been the biggest help on this! Thanks for being such a champion!

I'll make sure to reach out if I have any other issues or questions, cuz you are a whiz. Thanks again! Have a great rest of your day!

Cheers,

Lindsey

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lindsey Whittington , 

So you are saying that the error is produced when the layer is not visible? Strange. I guess I normally have the layer that I am working on switch on, so I may never have seen this behavior before. 

Can you mark the post that answered your question as the correct answer? I will keep monitoring this thread in case you have any follow-up questions or you can start a new question and tag me. 

0 Kudos
Lindsey_Whittington
New Contributor II

Hey Xander Bakker‌,

Yeah it was super weird! When I am in the Map View, if I didn't have the layer checked when working in the coding environment, it would give me that error. Once I had the layer checked on my content, it worked just fine! Not sure why that happened, but I have been able to use the code on ALL the layers that I am working with, and they are all returning the correct content I want. Looks like we are good to go! Not sure if this means there is some functionality that doesn't work in Arcade when the layers aren't checked on the content tab? Now I know to have those turned on whenever I am configuring in there!

Thanks again!

Lindsey