10.2.1 Upgrade Problems

01-07-2014 12:45 PM
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Has anyone successfully upgraded Portal 10.2 to 10.2.1?

I've tried 3 times on a backed up Portal install and each time it fails and the Portal is broken. Other people in my organisation are having the same issue.

After the "upgrade" I have two copies of my portal folders ie;

content
content_10.2
db
db_10.2
index
index_10.2
logs
temp

I can access the Portal but when I try to sign in it asks me to create a new initial administrator account. If I attempt to do this (even though it was previously set up) it hangs for a while and then says there was a problem.

I've tried to list and create a users through the command line tools but it says its looking for a file called config-store-connection.json which is not present.

Under the hood it look like Postgres is not starting up when the service is started.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Hi Trevor,

In case you have not already reviewed these documents, here are couple of upgrade help topics for review:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//017s00000084000000
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Upgrading_an_earlier_version_of_Portal_for...

A few questions to understand the environment:

1. Is this upgrade from 10.2 Final?
2. Is portal installed on Windows or Linux?
3. Was 10.2 uninstall prior to installing 10.2.1 or is this an upgrade with 10.2 install in place?
4. Are all components of portal (webadaptor, portal, content-directory etc) installed on the same machine?
5. Were there any errors reported during the upgrade or did it complete successfully?
6. Are you able to login to portal using https://portal.domain.com:7443/arcgis/home
7. Are there any errors reported in the portal logs from content-dir: arcgisportal\logs\runtime, content-dir: arcgisportal\logs\webserver and portal install directory/framework/service/logs)
8. When attempting to repeat the upgrade, you mention using a backed up portal install. I assume, this is 10.2 Final portal which has not been upgraded previously.

Thanks
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Thanks Ravi. I have read the upgrade documents several times.

1) Yes it was 10.2 final
2) Windows
3) Upgrade in place
4) All on one machine (including federated ArcGIS Server)
5) No errors from the UI. There are some errors in the log advising the upgrade failed (no reasons given). The messages also say to delete all contents under the arcgisportal directory
6) No I am unable to login. When I try it asks me to create the IAA account (again). If I do this it fails with an error.
7) I will check
😎 The machine is a VM (Hyper-V). When I said backed up I simply restore the VM to a previous state _ im not able to do this now though as I recently corrupted my backup drive.

As I said there are others in my organisation who have tried and also failed (BTW I work for an Esri distributor).

Thanks
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Ravi

There are some NullPointerExceptions in the runtime log

The web server log has these exceptions (full log attached);

Jan 07, 2014 12:21:44 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteManager migrate
SEVERE: Migration failed. Failed to migrate from 10.2 to 10.2.1.
java.lang.Exception: Failed to migrate from 10.2 to 10.2.1.
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteManager.migrate(SiteManager.java:677)
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteManager.createNewSite(SiteManager.java:235)
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.rest.site.SiteResource.createNewSite(SiteResource.java:101)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.JavaMethodInvokerFactory$1.invoke(JavaMethodInvokerFactory.java:60)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider$ResponseOutInvoker._dispatch(AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider.java:205)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.dispatch(ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.java:75)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.HttpMethodRule.accept(HttpMethodRule.java:288)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.ResourceClassRule.accept(ResourceClassRule.java:108)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RootResourceClassesRule.accept(RootResourceClassesRule.java:84)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1483)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1414)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1363)
at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1353)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:414)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:537)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.doFilter(ServletContainer.java:895)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.doFilter(ServletContainer.java:843)
at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.doFilter(ServletContainer.java:804)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129)
at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at com.esri.commons.web.AppFilter.doFilter(AppFilter.java:266)
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.rest.filters.AdminFilter.doFilter(AdminFilter.java:55)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.util.TomcatValve.invoke(TomcatValve.java:43)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1023)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Failed to start the database server. The startup timed out. Please check the log file at C:\arcgisportal\logs\database\pgsql.log.
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.util.PostgresUtil.startServer(PostgresUtil.java:223)
at com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteManager.migrate(SiteManager.java:409)
... 49 more

Jan 07, 2014 12:21:44 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteManager createNewSite
SEVERE: Failed to migrate from 10.2 to 10.2.1. Please delete all files from 'arcgisportal' folder and try again.
com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.site.SiteCreationException: Failed to migrate from 10.2 to 10.2.1. Please delete all files from 'arcgisportal' folder and try again.
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for this additional info. Will take a look at the logs.

Can you also let us know the content of this file prior to upgrade: ArcGIS\Portal\webapps\arcgis#home\builddate.txt?

Is there any additional info in C:\arcgisportal\logs\database\pgsql.log

thanks
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hi Trevor,

Can you also let us know the content of this file prior to upgrade: ArcGIS\Portal\webapps\arcgis#home\builddate.txt?

thanks

Ravi, pgsql.log is empty (and from what I can see Postgres does not start up at all).

I will get the build number for you asap.
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hi Trevor,

thanks

Build date below;

ArcGIS Online build date: Thu Jun 20 10:15:51 PDT 2013
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
I tried to uninstall 10.2.1 and reinstall 10.2 (reverting the names of the Portal content folders) but same issue - Postgres fails to start.

I did a clean install of Portal (i.e. did not configure after install) and it upgraded fine.

So its definitely something to do with a configured install.
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for this additional info. The build date does match with 10.2 Final.

Since you mention, upgrade works with a fresh install of 10.2 Final, are there any special configuration on this portal that you see could be causing the reported behavior?

If this continues to be an issue, please open an incident with esri Tech Support so we can look into this further.

Ravi
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for this additional info. The build date does match with 10.2 Final.

Since you mention, upgrade works with a fresh install of 10.2 Final, are there any special configuration on this portal that you see could be causing the reported behavior?

If this continues to be an issue, please open an incident with esri Tech Support so we can look into this further.

Ravi

Ravi

The only difference between the fresh install and the installs I have tried to upgrade is that the other installs have an ArcGIS Server site federated with it. No other customisation has taken place.

I've just tried it on a customer development environment and the same problem has happened. Only the tomcat service starts - there is no Postgres service starting.

I'll talk to our support team tomorrow and get them to raise a ticket with Esri Tech Support.

Thanks
0 Kudos