Vector Tile Layers Querying/Legends

11-17-2016 11:12 AM
deleted-user-wgzH2d-p_0_f
New Contributor III

Would love to see the capability to query vector tile layers and to see the symbology in ArcOnline legends.  Currently, I am creating a vector tile layer and also a feature layer.  I'm making the feature layer transparent so I can still get the functionality of the vector tile layer (fast drawing) with the capability of querying.  However, this results in two layers I have to remember to turn on, and it makes it hard for non-GISers to understand.  As for the symbology, I think we're just hoping that people won't need to see what the individual symbols mean at a small scale.  Our only other option is to make a static legend in the map window, but it will be quite large, and users don't always need to see it.

Tags (1)
21 Comments
BrianWilson

Apparently it's not impossible, as OpenLayers supports querying vector tiles, here is an example: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/vector-tile-info.html?q=vector+tile 

I have to test and see if it works with an ESRI service too. Will do that in a bit and come back here.

BrianWilson

Okay so my test was far easier than I thought it would be. The URL for the OpenLayers example used an ESRI service!

It's only showing one attribute, I suspect that's what is in the vector file?

The URL used in the example is  is  https://basemaps.arcgis.com/v1/arcgis/rest/services/World_Basemap/VectorTileServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}.pbf

I tried with several layers that are served from my own Portal and I can see them too

so the query limitation is in ArcGIS JavaScript API and not in the tile service itself.

I wish OpenLayers could read the styles from ESRI instead of showing thin blue lines for everything.

VHolubec

The enhancement about it exist - ENH-000095476.

Please Kelly Gerrow‌, is there any update about the future of Query and Legends for Vector tiles? Many of our customers, as well as users above, are waiting for this great but still missing feature.

Thank you.

AlanScandrett

We have seen demand uptick for this functionality from clients as well here at Esri Australia, and as this continues to grow it seems like the lack of popup functionality on the online viewers for Vector Tiles is going to become a wider issue.

by Anonymous User

Bottom line, I was hoping to publish services with the functionality of featurelayers and the speed of vector tiles.  Simply.  The stack complexity is growing particularly for simple tasks like this and that is concerning. Speed of serving layers has long been an issue and most solutions are too complex or finicky to implement. Vector tiles work and they work well; they just need to behave like featureLayers and that would be a good solution for the performance issue. However the implementation has to be fairly simple and reliable. 

AZendel

We need this!

MatthewHampton2

Bueller? Bueller? 

AllisonHockey

Any update to this? Would love  to be able to query my vector tile layers and have my end users do the same. 

MarkoPolo

Any update on this? What exactly do all those people at redlands do? Sounds like sweet fa. 

Daniel-Miller

We have recently deployed new vector tile basemaps and our customers love them but are asking to see a legend. This idea has been in for six years and still no legend!

We would love to see query functionality as well.