Support for Contingent Values in ArcGIS Online

05-17-2019 08:39 AM
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

Contingent Values in ArcGIS Pro helps data technicians in the office to efficiently manage the ensure the integrity of their data. Light data users could take advantage of this as well through ArcGIS Online whether in the office or using Collector in the field, making sure that data entry is simple and effective and that the data is of highest quality.

Use Case: Road Sign Technicians using Collector enter a sign code and then see the possible values available for other attributes. Stop signs have 3 sizes available, and In-Street Pedestrian Crossing signs have 2 sizes available, and so on.

Thanks team!

55 Comments
LeviCecil

Our school district needs this functionality for Collector ASAP. We are developing Collector apps for field technicians to gather asset data in our schools (nearly 100 sites). They won't use the apps if they aren't able to associate assets with specific rooms in specific buildings at our sites. 

ChristopherBowering

Hi all.  I just spoke to an ESRI tech representative today about this desire/issue.  Contingent value functionality is a great tool and it should be carried thru to ArcGIS Online and thus Collector.  The tech told me that there is a back-end bug (Bug 000120962) which allows for a layer with contingent values to be published from Pro but doesn't allow the functionality in AGO.  The bug was apparently first logged in March of 2019.  He is supposed to be sending me a link which I can go to to escalate the bug.  I will post it when I receive it.

RichardLittlefield

I agree with everyone else, this needs to be implemented for ArcGIS Online as well. I'm about to build a schema for a sign inventory and was going to use contingent values for the first time, however discovered it's not available for AGOL (publish feature layer from Pro to AGOL), so wouldn't improve my field crew workflow when entering signs. If this was available in AGOL then it could save the field crew time.

LeviCecil

Do we all need to log support tickets to escalate the BUG?

ChristopherBowering

It took me longer than I expected to get the ESRI tech I was working with to wrap his head around what I was getting at.  He finally told me that you can publish a layer with contingent values enabled but can't do anything with it after the fact (which is what I was getting at from day 1).  Last week he got my hopes up because he said he was able to get contingent values to work in Collector but upon doing a screen share, the functionality clearly didn't work so I'm not sure why he thought it did on his end.  His final message directed me back to this very page ( ! ) and said it would take 'up-votes' for the development team to work on this.  It astounds me that ESRI even released contingent value functionality without making it work with Collector right away since I would imagine the primary use of the function would come with field work/data collection.  Another one of these ESRI mysteries I suppose...I'd suggest encouraging colleagues to up-vote this idea!

ChristopherBowering

Hi Richard.  See my reply above.  I started down this road last month because I am also working on a sign inventory schema where I wanted to use contingent values for field work purposes.  You're right, being able to use this in AGO/Collector would be a huge efficiency boost for field crews...crazy that ESRI didn't make this connection right away!

RichardLittlefield

Thanks for posting your findings. We need this for Collector!! Hopefully sooner than later.

ChristopherBowering

Completely agree!  With Spring on the horizon and field collection starting soon, I'm frustrated to not be able to use this functionality.  Someone (non GIS savvy) just asked me in a meeting last week if this was possible.

Jefcoat_Nathan

This should already be functional.  Please do this.

ChristopherBowering

After beginning down this path with the ESRI tech about a month and a half ago, he emailed me yesterday with a bug number and synopsis.  He told me he was logging an enhancement but it looks like he ended up logging it as a bug.

BUG-000120395

Synopsis: Contingent values are not honored in map viewer

He then provided the following URL which serves as an instructional on how to escalate a bug: https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2016/03/28/how-to-escalate-a-defect

However, in order to escalate you may have to be a member of the organization from which the initial help request was made from...I'm not totally sure.

It would be great for as many people to escalate this "bug" as possible, if it can be done from users outside of my organization as well.  Simply put as the user above said, this should already be functional.