Simplify Way to Change the Coordinate Systems using ArcGIS Online

05-06-2021 10:12 AM
rsun_TQB
Occasional Contributor III

Dear All,

I really surprised by the extra steps need to take to change the coordinate system of ArcGIS Online Map. I can set my coordinate systems correctly on ArcGIS Pro, and publish a map to ArcGIS Online. However, it won't use the exact same coordinate systems that I set up on ArcGIS Pro. Isn't that interested?

Then, I started searching how to use my own UTM coordinate system instead of using LL84/Pseudo Mercator. I found this helpful YouTube video published by Esri Canada.  

(3) How to Change the Projection in ArcGIS Online - YouTube

When I first saw this video, I don't know if I should be happy or be sad.

I have been using Open Source web GIS solution called MapGuide for years, and even the coordinate systems of the Open Source web map can be configured to different one anytime. It will also convert all the vector (not raster) data to the target coordinate systems on the fly.

I can use basemap with my specified UTM coordinate systems without any issues using ArcGIS Pro, and I believe ESRI can achieve the same functionality on ArcGIS Online web map as well. Please allow the end user to change the map coordinate systems anytime. It will make ArcGIS Online/Portal even greater! 

Cordially,

Reno

10 Comments
RobertBorchert

You should be using Web Mercator for your projection.  WKID 3857

That is what the base maps are supplied in.  

rsun_TQB

Hi Robert,

I am hoping to use our local UTM coordinate systems using ArcGIS Online which is achievable if you see the video that I shared on my initial post. I hope that I can use the same coordinate systems that I used on ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online. I just think it will make AGOL more powerful and easier to use.

Cordially,

Reno

RobertBorchert

Actually I think using the recommended projection for AGO Online will make it more powerful and easy to use. As shown by your video.   Any thing you add out side of your UTM zone or close to the edge may be distorted and show the curve of the Earth.  

If you want to use a base map then the recommended procedure is to create your own base map in the projection you want to use.

rsun_TQB

Hi @RobertBorchert ,

I can see your point. Thank you for your feedback. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am working for a small municipality in Canada, and we don't really have any data outside our municipal boundary. Therefore, we don't usually worry about the distortion outside our municipal boundary.

Cordially,

Reno

RobertBorchert

For a small muni I would not use UTM then. In the US we would use State Plane Coordinate System for small localized areas. I would imaging in Canada there is something similar.

But I would still recommend Web Mercator for any web maps. More compatible than anything else and zero maintenance. 

rsun_TQB

Hi @RobertBorchert ,

I agree with you on low maintenance and administrative overhead of simply using Web Mercator. However, I found at least in BC, Canada, most municipalities or local governments are using their local UTM coordinate system. It's messy. I am not here to debate with you, but simply express the idea that I would like AGOL to have 🙂

Cheers,

Reno

gluckett

Should be able to paste in the PROJ4 or WKT like all other GISes do.

rsun_TQB

Hi @gluckett ,

Where can you do that on ArcGIS Online web map?

Thanks a lot,

Reno

gluckett

I don't think you can with AGOL yet.

ReeseFacendini

ArcGIS Online projects data "on-the-fly" in Web Mercator, in order for it to work in most situations.  Behind the scenes your data is still published in UTM (in this case).  Not taking away from your idea, just wanted to add that little bit.