Show attachments in ArcGIS Online pop-up window

08-12-2014 12:39 PM
EricNeel
New Contributor II

The ability to link attachments (images, docs, etc.) to features in ArcGIS Online is great functionality, but it would be nice if, instead of having attachments open in a new window, they would open inside the pop-up window itself. The new window containing the attachment tends to cover up the map.

54 Comments
AndrewBarker3

Having the ability to display photo attachments as point icons in collector and AGOL would be great too.  Google Picasa had this fantastic functionality a few years ago and it clunkily got migrated to mymaps. 

Would be even better if we could apply a style to the thumbnail border, or a colour overlay that's attribute driven.  Eg. Take a photo of an asset, give it a fail condition score and the image thumbnail displays on the map as an icon with a red border.  

ThomasEdghill

The Attachment Viewer configurable app has just been released, which provides a configurable template for viewing feature attachments, namely photos and videos. For those who are tracking this idea, please take a look at this configurable app to see if it can meet your needs: Attachment Viewer. We look forward to hearing any feedback on this!

AndrewBarker3

Hi Thomas,

Thanks very much for the link.  I've had a look over it and created an app and here are my initial thoughts:
1.  It's too restrictive to have this app only display a single layer.  We have point, line and polygon features that people add attachments to, they should be able to interact with all layers from a map, not just one.  How many maps do people make that only have one feature layer?
2.  Attachment counts still aren't exposed.  I can't label, symbolise or definition query by attachment count.  The large black screen that shows when someone clicks on a feature without an attachment could be avoided if attachments > 0 was an arcade/definition query.   

3.  Would it be possible to have the option of showing photo thumbnails as point icons?  

4.  Would it be possible to have a thumbnail gallery across the bottom of the image panel?  If a feature had say 10 attachments, having to click next, wait for the image to load, nope wrong one, next, repeat until the attachment you want to show appears would be tedious.  It'd be great to click on a thumbnail and jump the attachment of interest.  

KatyAppleton1

I agree with these comments. It's a good start but there is a lot of untapped potential. I am also hoping for neater integration of Collector images with image-oriented Story Maps, e.g. from a layer or layers with images attached to a Story Map Tour with minimal clicks.

erica_poisson

Hi Thomas,

This looks like a good start, however many uses of Collector have a related table where attachments are stored (e.g. for inspections the photo is attached to the inspection record, not the asset itself). It would be great if the Attachment Viewer could work with the main layer (asset) and then the related table (inspection) where the photo attachments are stored. Its pretty difficult to easily access/view attachments like this, and I think there would be a lot of people eager to use a version of the Attachment Viewer that can make these attachments more accessible.

Erica

DaveKirkley

It seems the Attachment viewer can only display .jpg or image files. It'd be great if .pdf and other docs could be included.

they open up in as separate window links, but not as part of the attachment window and scroll there.

How do we access the code behind this? It seems like a simple enough change

Dave

erica_poisson

Hi Thomas,

How does the Attachment Viewer decide which order to show attachments in? There is no setting that allows me to specify this, but it seems as if they appear in chronological order, either through the image's metadata or through when an image was attached. I received a question from one of my users and was wondering how this was handled behind the scenes.

Thanks,

Erica

ThomasEdghill

Hi Erica, The Attachment Viewer app sorts feature attachments based on the order in which they were added to the feature. There currently isn't a way to do further sorting to feature attachments, but I will pass this feedback along and I also encourage voting on following Idea which is asking for this: https://community.esri.com/ideas/10311 

Thank you for your feedback!

AdamRepsher

Unbelievable that this wasn't a standard feature from the beginning.  Just now started collecting images through Survey123, and would have done it another way if I had known that this feature was not available yet.

EricEagle

Add me to the long list of folks who thought this was a thing, and arrived to this Idea after finding it is not, in fact, a thing.