Set comma delimiter off by default in ArcGIS Online (& WAB)

05-23-2016 11:13 AM
HarveyArnone
New Contributor II
Commas delimiters appear for all numeric fields in ArcGIS Online by default, though you can specify where to supress the commas (to display the numeric values without the commas).  This may sound like it makes sense, but in practical use, we believe the logic should be reversed.  Instead of specifying where to supress the commas, commas delimiters should not be applied by default. They should only be shown in cases where commas have been specified in configuation. 

It is true, some numeric field containing values like population, scientific measurements, higher elevations, etc require comma delimiater.  However, the vast majority of numeric fields in any orgaization's layers are fields such as database keys or identifiers, which should not use the comma delimiter.  In our case, we have less than 5 fields requiring commas, while we have well over a 100 instances of numeric fields that we must specificly turn off the commas.  This is a lot of work for something that may not sound like a big deal, but you would be surprized by the volume of comments we received from our users to remove the commas. 

If others agree that the logic on this is backwards, please support us in asking Esri to make this change.
5 Comments
thomasshea
If there was a single global setting to alter default case, it wouldn't be a problem.
ClarkLangridge

This is a particular issue for French speakers (who we support) that use the comma in the same way a period is used in English to denote part of a whole number.  For them, it is confusing to look at 1,812 and not be sure if it means one thousand eight hundred and twelve or one point eight one two.

KAnderson

Also for Portal. I know if there was the option to turn off comma delimitation for all my organization's maps, I would do so. We have too many identifiers and year fields to show. But it would be great if it could be set for each map.

JenniferCasey1

For my organization we have more fields that don't need commas such as years and account IDs than do. What is meant to be a time-saver is just a annoyance in my experience.

deleted-user-pZlUMHhkW23Q

That unfortunately makes way too much sense!