Role Privilege to control Hub site publishing

09-03-2019 02:57 PM
USFSAGOL_Administrator
New Contributor II

Please allow the ability to configure a role privilege to allow for Hub site publishing as opposed to just allowing anyone who has Publisher role (or custom role equivalent) to create public facing websites. In our organization, the proliferation of Hub sites is quickly becoming a governance nightmare with essentially anyone with Publisher access being able to create a public facing website. Not that web maps, apps, etc. aren't considered websites, they are, it is just that Hub provides a web authoring environment that allows individuals to circumvent organizational web content mgmt., standards, branding, etc. Easy fix = allow for a role privilege to enable Hub site publication, independent of the Publisher role itself.

13 Comments
MegHoole

Our organization would also like to see this.  Sharing content to public is a privilege that we reserve for admins to ensure that content meets minimum standards prior to sharing to public.

by Anonymous User

Hi Meg - Hub requires "share to public" to share things publicly. We don't require "publisher" in its entirety...only "Create Content" and "Create Groups" to make a site. Those users without sharing capabilities will not be able to take their sites publicly so in that sense we do have a feature to control who can "publish a site"...it's the folks who can publish ANY web GIS app in ArcGIS Online.

With that understood, is there still a need for an extra app-specific privilege (i.e. "Create Hub Sites")? Today we are using the "Create Content" priv. that all apps use which makes settings more comprehensive across the various apps available on the ArcGIS Online platform. Are you also interested in "Create StoryMap" and "Create Ops Dashboard" and "Create WAB" and "Create Survey123" (etc...) alongside "Create Hub Site"? If you would like to see just Hub have its own app-specific priv can you tell me, in your eyes, what makes a Hub site different from a StoryMap, a WAB, or a Dashboard? Is there a specific feature?

(I recently met with the USFS folks so I got their take on it--would be interested to hear yours as well)

MegHoole

Hi Graham... from my recent testing - it appears that users must have the privilege to share groups to public.  If user is missing this privie, then creating a new initiative fails after creating 2 of the 3 groups.  We'd prefer not to allow users to share groups to the public.

In lieu of "an extra app-specific privilege (i.e. "Create Hub Sites")" I'd like to see the documentation specify the minimum privileges that are required for users to be able to create Hub initiatives (i.e. Publisher role includes some privies that are not required for creating hub content)... this would be helpful for those of us who employ custom roles for our users.

It would also be useful for us to be able to turn off the default roles available in AGO (including in the Hub Community Org), because we don't use them and instead use custom roles.

by Anonymous User

Very insightful (the requirement of making non-public groups)...also a case we should handle more gracefully. We are working on such a priv. document to summarize the key privs to make sites in Hub.

Appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

MegHoole

Thanks for the follow up Graham

by Anonymous User

We shipped this fix on Tuesday. How's it working for you today?

MegHoole

can you elaborate on what the shipped fix entailed?!  thx

by Anonymous User

you no longer need "share group to public" to make a site / initiative in Hub

MegHoole

ah ok - marvelous... I will check it out... thank you

MegHoole

Sorry Graham... I seem to have mislead you about "Share Group to Public" being required... it was actually the "Make Group visible to Public" setting that was required.  Can you confirm if this "Make Group visible to Public" setting is still required to create an initiative?