Password protected sharing ArcGIS Online without organizational account

02-09-2015 11:12 AM
TomBos
by
New Contributor II

What would really be beneficial to ArcGIS Online from my point of view, would be adding the possibility to share content with 'everyone' while using some form of basic password protection (password protected sharing for users without organizational account). Other cloud services (OneDrive for example) offer similar functionality. The lack of this functionality is pretty much what keeps me from using ArcGIS Online for sharing content.

30 Comments
NachoMoreno

2018 and still waiting for a solution, no wonder CARTO is being adopted as a solution by so many organisations

NachoMoreno

Is ridicolous this is not even considered yet....been so many years waiting for this. If you work with clients this is a MASSIVE stopper. Shame on ESRI

RyanGay2

I have been reading through this thread and was wondering if anyone has tried sharing their data through a web app? That is basically what I did. I created a web map with the data and then created a web app with the web map and sent that to my client. The data does not have to be published as public data. Now you do not have the option of password protecting the data but you get to control who you send the link to. And the settings allow you to make it all read only so it is just like a custom map viewer. 

RyanGay2

Yes I created a work around for it. It works for now.

Ryan Gay

Whitenton Group, Inc.

3413 Hunter Rd

San Marcos, TX 78666

(512) 353-3344 Office

(903) 285-1081 Cell

CharlottePaulet

Hi Ryan,

I'm really interested to know what is your workaround because until now I've tried everything that I know and giving access to a map to people outside my organization without sharing the data publicly is not working for me.

Thank you,

Charlotte

RyanGay2

Paula,

Shoot me an email and we can discuss. ryan.gay2013@gmail.com

Ryan Gay

Whitenton Group, Inc.

3413 Hunter Rd

San Marcos, TX 78666

(512) 353-3344 Office

(903) 285-1081 Cell

RyanGay2

Nathan,

No I would rather not post it here. Please email me if you would like to discuss.

SamBrown2

Another note here Matt is even if you can justify the viewer account you can't pass that onto a client as that is a breach of the no on-selling of named user account conditions. I've got this exact scenario where I'm happy to pay for viewer accounts for my clients but the T & Cs say that client needs their own organisational account - not economic or practical for me to implement for individual farmers. A real shame as the platform would really lend itself to this use and potentially bring on new AGOL users who would not otherwise be exposed to the technology.

Another discussion on this topic at https://community.esri.com/thread/121535 

AndreasLorentzen

We have this issue with stake holders who need access to semi-sensitive info that the public should not yet get access to and the stake holders does not have any AGOL organization or users. They also fall outside the ESRI agreement as they are not consultans nor suppliers.

AndreasLorentzen

We have discussed it here and think that if there could be a "Stake holder license" where you have a viewer/editor that can be shared outside the normal agreement and can be shared with 3-10 in that organization.