Introduce email notifications for ArcGIS.com group owners & members.

06-16-2010 08:06 AM
GregBonynge
Occasional Contributor

It would make administering ArcGIS.com groups more convenient if owners could choose to be notified via email when someone requests to join their group.  Likewise, it would be useful for group members to learn via email when a fellow member has shared new content with a group, rather than having to actively log into the site to review the latest changes.

25 Comments
BlakeBilbo

Hi Carlynne,

This is Blake from GEO Jobe GIS Consulting,

If you're interested in communicating with various members regarding violations and issues in your Organization, I would like to point you towards Clean My Org. It's an on-demand and scheduled scanner that you can configure to look for problematic, inactive, or redundant content across your items, users, and groups that you may be interested in. Additionally, it has within the resolution options the notification functionality for any results you find in these scans, so you can reach out to any stakeholders.

I hope that this provides you with a possible solution to your needs. We have a promotional video of this application:

Clean Up Your Organization Without the Stress - YouTube

Please reach out if you need any more info at connect@geo-jobe.com

Thanks!

CarlynneWorsham

Hi Kelly, 

Some examples include:

1. Notice that a particular user did not provide the required metadata when item(s) were shared with groups or with the organization;
  2. Notice that a particular user's account has been inactive for a given period of time;
  3. Warning that a particular user shared content that is not relevant;
  4. Notice that new user was added. 
PaulHoefflerGISS

Kelly Gerrow‌, email is without a doubt the preferred method of communication.

Having to regularly check ArcGIS Online for group requests is a problem I've heard about from users across our organization - we only have 5,000 user accounts, but I'm sure we could find larger organizations that would benefit from this. Thomas Colson?

Perhaps as this ArcGIS Idea approaches it's decadal anniversary something will happen with it...

Thanks for your consideration.

AlisonMynsberge

The idea Email (or notify) ArcGIS Online users when changes are made to a feature service they 'follow' is not the same as the main topic of this idea, but was merged into this one. 

I am a city employee.  I include layers from the county in my maps/apps.  When the county removes some of the layers from AGOL, my maps start throwing notifications about those missing layers.

I am not a member of the org or group and do not use all the maps daily.  I would therefore not get messages from the maps in a timely manner, nor would I get notification if it requires being in the county's organization or one of their groups.  

It would be helpful to be able to "follow" the layers and get a notification when they're removed from the site or when the data schema changes.  This would better address collaborative mapping that happens across AGOL orgs/groups.  I hope this perspective will be considered during development of the solution Kelly Gerrow

by Anonymous User

As an ArcGIS Online administrator, a tool to message all members of my organization would be very useful.