Improve available default Map Layouts for Printing in ArcGIS Online

10-21-2013 06:25 AM
JasonSawle
Esri Contributor

Hi

I can create great maps in AGOL, but I can't print out the map with a legend, scale bar, title and north arrow in the same way I can using desktop. This would make it much easier to communicate spatial data and ideas correctly.

Regards

Jason

Note: Users can currently create a custom printing service in ArcGIS Server to create custom printing templates for use in ArcGIS Online. This idea also refers to this capability being available in ArcGIS Online without the use of additional products.

33 Comments
SarahAnderson8

Would be great to be able to set the default DPI setting in the widget properties (current default is 96, not particularly useful).

JamesShreeve

Completely agree. Fully understand GIS is going more digital but that can't be at the detriment of other forms, I work in Local Government and administer our ArcGIS account - the biggest 'flaw' for users is that the map file (PDF etc.) is not formatted in a corporate style. 'Physical' maps are still very important and are used daily for site visits, sharing with the public and adding into reports just to name a few. I think an enhancement to the print widget to allow organisations to store print templates as items (or something similar) is a must. I know this can be done using ArcGIS enterprise but that isn't an option for a small organisation like ourselves.

Tim_Rodaway

It's really dissappointing to see that this has been a feature requested for over a decade now, and still doesn't appear to have been addressed. Can an ESRI Rep please give an update as to whether this is at all in the pipeline?

Before I joined my org, they moved from ArcGIS Enterprise to predominately ArcGIS Online with a few Pro licences, losing ArcGIS Server, upon the advised of our local ESRI rep. We have at least one user who only needs Pro to be able to print maps, as they are legally required to do so, something which should be possible for them to do without us paying for them to have a Pro licence.