Give users the ability to rotate 3D icons on a per-feature basis

11-11-2019 12:23 PM
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

My users would like the capability to rotate the 3D symbology of Feature/Scene Layers in a WebScene/Web Appbuilder app on Portal for ArcGIS so that the 3D icon will face at the direction they desire, on a per-feature basis.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
JanettBaresel

Hello Andres,

Can you explain more about the use case and some details. E.g. what do the icons represent. Is the direction in the world space, e.g. north/west (or degrees like on a compass?) or screen space, e.g. up/down/left/right... ? You want to rotate the icons based on an attribute right (similar to what you can do with 3d object already)?

AndresCastillo

The icons are wind turbines.

The user wanted to rotate at their desire.

"You want to rotate the icons based on an attribute right (similar to what you can do with 3d object already)?"

This is very much something I could use, but didn't consider.

Thank you Ms. Baresel, this is great, but the original idea would be even better to give users more interactivity with their 3D app.

For now, I will create a 2D editor web mapping application so the user can modify the rotation field's value per feature of a feature layer.

Then, I will consume and apply 3D symbology to that same feature layer in a 3D WebScene, setting the layer style to rotate from the rotation field.