GeoJSON Layers in AGOL

01-24-2017 02:39 PM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

GeoJSON became a formal IETF standard this past August (see GeoJSON – RFC 7946).  As important as OGC standards are to us geo-geeks, IETF standards are important to a much broader range of people.  I think it is good that the folks behind GeoJSON went down the IETF standards route, it shows a maturity in thinking that “spatial isn’t special” when it comes to data and the web.

The reason I bring up GeoJSON becoming a formal standard is that ArcGIS Online still has yet to support adding GeoJSON files from either the web or file into AGOL maps.

AGOL Add Layer From Web dialog box

AGOL Add Layer from File dialog box

When I look at Esri’s Open Vision and read that Esri “support industry and community standards, libraries in every major programming language, integration with common analysis and data management tools, and a growing repository of open-source software,” I wonder what I am missing.  Esri states that “ArcGIS is Standards Compliant” on the Open Standards page, and yet directly loading GeoJSON files into AGOL maps isn’t supported.  I know that KML, GeoRSS, and other OGC standards are supported, but more of the world cares about IETF standards than OGC standards.

I know one can upload a GeoJSON file into My Content and then publish it as a layer to load into AGOL maps, but this falls short for two reasons:  1) it is making a copy of the GeoJSON file and not dynamically referencing it like when KML or GeoRSS web layers are added, and 2) it is more convoluted than loading a CSV or shapefile directly into an AGOL map from one’s computer.

9 Comments
JoshuaBixby

I guess I checked out, or nearly gave up, on this one.  I noticed recently it got changed to "In Product Plan," any updates anyone from Esri can share?

by Anonymous User

We did add the ability to a GeoJSON from file in the Map Viewer.

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

However, it sounds more like you are looking for a way to keep the GeoJSON file dynamically up to date in ArcGIS Online. Could you share a few more details about your specific use case?

JoshuaBixby

In short, I want the same functionality for GeoJSON as already exists for KML:

KML file

A KML file contains a set of geographic features.

1. Choose A KML File and enter the layer's web address in the URL field.

You should get this URL from the data provider.

2. Click Add Layer to add the layer to your map.

and GeoRSS:

GeoRSS file

A GeoRSS file is a web feed that includes geographic features and locations. See an example.

1. Choose A GeoRSS File and enter the layer's web address in the URL field.

You should get this URL from the data provider.

2. Click Add Layer to add the layer to your map.
AdamMartin

Is the ability to call a dynamic web-based geojson feed in the roadmap yet?

KennethMack

Hello, I think I speak for many when I say that adding a dynamic geojson layer from a URL would be a gamechanger-- any news on this? As it stands, I can add such a data feed as a layer in desktop QGIS and many web frameworks; and I can add dynamic KMLs and geoRSS to AGO as noted above-- so why this hole in functionality?

Thanks!

ThomasColson

The use cases are pretty thoroughly discussed in https://community.esri.com/ideas/13080 . Importing a GEOJSON file for one time, static use is not useful and shouldn't even be considered when every other GIS platform supports dynamic GEOJSON end points (QGIS, Leaflet, Mapbox). 

JohannesFuchs

Hi everbody,

are there any updates to a schedule for implemeting support of dynamically added geojson?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yann-EricBoyeau

Hello,

Please ESRI... nothing to code, it is already coded in js api : "This sample accesses real-time data from the USGS."

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/layers-geojson/

Please just add this feature to AGOL

Thanks a lot

by Anonymous User

This has been implemented at the December 2021 ArcGIS Online update. If you have any feedback on this feature please let us know. Thanks!