Filter Widget: Add capability to filter to a pre-defined range of values in number field drop downs.

09-21-2018 11:39 AM
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

I would like to see ESRI add capability to filter to a pre-defined range of values in number field drop downs. I am working with ridership data with values ranging from 0 - 12,234. Please see the attached screen capture for more information.

Two options I initially considered, but will not work for the targeted audience:

1. Create a new field and classify ridership values for example as "Low Ridership" (0-5,000), "Medium Ridership" (5,001-7,000) and "High Ridership" (7,001-12,234) but then users would only see the classification or the value in a filter, not both.  
  2. It may be possible to use the custom filter to develop multiple sets and/or expressions in order to gain the ability to select a range of values, but a majority of users will find building a multi-expression filter within a custom configuration too difficult. 

I would like to keep the ridership filter as simple as possible and prefer listing each rail line with a single drop down containing: 

• "Low Ridership: 0-5,000"
  • "Medium Ridership: 5,001-7,000"
  • "High Ridership: "7,001-12,234"

Your thoughts are appreciated!