Download full raster datasets from Open Data site

06-23-2017 06:43 AM
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

please, please provide a way for people to make data OPENLY accessible and downloadable!

We have spent weeks designing and launching our ArcGIS Online open data site, hosting large raster datasets on arcGIS for Server...only to find out that the downloaded raster datasets from Open data are only thumbnails - even though the little dropdown clearly says "full dataset." 

This is awfully misleading! There is currently no way to download full resolution rasters from Open Data 

it clearly says full dataset

looks like a full dataset to me! (nope!)

According to Esri: "ArcGIS Open Data gives you a quick way to set up public-facing websites where people can easily find and download your open data in a variety of open formats"

"Anyone can use data published on ArcGIS Open Data at no cost. Download raw data and share your insights with your community or build new applications that serve specific users."

This is unfortunately not true for raster datasets and if it is not fixed, then users should be made aware that they need to host their datasets (particularly large ones above 1GB) on dropbox, google drive, ftp etc... 

please, please p#rovide a way for people to make data OPENLY accessible and downloadable in standard formats for people who might not have arcGIS!  

arcgis opendata‌ agol‌ #data download

4 Comments
DavidAdelsberg

I agree....I was disappointed to add our aerial imagery only to find out it's a thumbnail image.  I've looked at other counties open data sites and when you try and click on the full dataset download, you get an error message that download failed.  So trying to download imagery isn't as easy as they make it seem. 

DanGriffin

This applies to other large vector data sets as well such as contours. 

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

We really need this function.

JacobHechter1

I work for a local government in New Zealand. We have loaded our image services onto our Open Data portal and are experiencing the same issues.  Anything except small vector datasets won't download correctly.  Can we please have the ability to download these large datasets or at least remove the Download button when a dataset is not available for full download.  I can already see how the current setup will cause confusion with our customers.  Thanks.