Create a widget in 3D WAB for the new interactive Slice tool

12-14-2018 08:48 AM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

The new slice tool that came out in the latest AGO update is a great way to explore 3D data. I work with a lot of projects where Terrestrial Lidar Data has been capture for the inside and outside of structures and this tool provides a way of showing users both of these. 

However, the tool is difficult to direct a user to and if the Scene is being displayed in a web app you seemingly can't use this tool at all. It would be great if there was a widget created for the slice tool so i could display my 3D data in a web app and have users interactively explore using the slice tool. 

Tags (2)
7 Comments
KoryKramer

Benjamin Mittler‌ have you seen What's New in ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.10 (December 2018) 

It points to a new Slice widget that sounds like just what you're looking for if I'm not mistaken Slice | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.10 

Let us know.

BenjaminMittler

Correct me if i'm wrong here, in order to take advantage of that slice widget I would need to recreate my app in Sceneview?

Noah-Sager

That is correct. The Slice Widget only works in 3D SceneViews. But if your app is displaying 3D data, I'd assume you would want to work with a SceneView anyway.

Edit: Are you working with Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, or the ArcGIS API for JavaScript?

MarcGraham2

This idea is for Esri to create a widget in web appbuilder with this functionality, not for the OP to do so.  is this on the roadmap for the WAB team?

EkremCanli2

I'd like to push this...we work a lot with 3D underground facilities (IFC, Revit) and _love_ the slicing tool in the default scene viewer. Unfortunately, there's still no option in the Web App Builder to use this tool, right? Such a shame...we'd love the more customizable view of shared scenes in the WAB.

DirkSilbermann

Same here: Please add to slice tool to the 3d Widgets for usage in Arcgis-Online 3D-WebApps!

We Slicing trough Bim-Models or just to get 3D-Profiles in 3D-Scenes is a great benefit to our Users!

ChristianHaugwitz

If esri and autodesk are serious about enabling us to visualize constructions along with gis/geological data, enabling this tool in the web app builder is crucial.