Copy/paste a folder in portal for arcgis

03-27-2017 03:15 AM
YossiRokni
New Contributor III

Sometimes there is a need to duplicate an entire folder under my content in portal for arcgis.

An option to copy/paste of a folder in portal for arcgis could solve the problem.

Of course the user will need to do some manual changes on the items in the copied folder.

4 Comments
ThomasEdghill

Thank you for posting this idea!

We currently have the ArcGIS Online Assistant which allows for copying content, and despite its name can also be used to connect to Portal for ArcGIS to perform those actions in a portal.

In addition, the ArcGIS API for Python allows for content management such as this to happen. Some documentation on this is below:

Clone portal users groups and content | ArcGIS for Developers 

Would the ArcGIS Online Assistant, or the ArcGIS API for Python meet your needs in this case? If not, any further information would be great. Thank you!

ThomasEdghill

I also wanted to add that if the ArcGIS Online Assistant does not meet your needs, there may be ways to achieve this through Python scripting. The following documentation links provide some examples that may help get you started with such an initiative:

Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Example: Transfer item ownership—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

YossiRokni

Thank you Thomas.

It is less likely for me to use the Python scripts due to lack of Python knowledge (maybe in the future...:))

It will be nice if ESRI will enable a simple copy/paste transaction in the portal for ArcGis that will be used for this purpose.

However, at this point of time, the AGOL Assistance will be the tool that I will use to this purpose. 

Thanks 

ThomasEdghill

Thank you for your response, Yossi.

I certainly understand that the convenience-factor of having the copy/paste functionality built into the Portal web site would add usability improvements compared to using the other methods I mentioned above.

I will continue to investigate the viability of this idea, but in the meantime I am glad that the ArcGIS Online Assistant can be of use at this time. Thank you again!