ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Service Notification on new record/feature added

02-11-2015 09:26 AM
KyleJohnson
New Contributor II

Add the ability to trigger a notification (to a specified e-mail address) when a new record is created in a hosted feature service though ArcGIS Online. This would be most beneficial when leveraging the GeoForm application for collecting information from the public. A bonus ability would be to initiate notification to different e-mails depending on a specific attribute. (For example, the GeoForm has a drop down menu (generated from a domain) for "Problem type", with the options "Pothole",  "Tree Issue", etc. If the "Pothole" problem is chosen, then the email notification would go to the street department, if "Tree Issue" is chosen then the notification would go to the Urban Forester).

39 Comments
deleted-user-hAQrEDjquYo6

I assume from the "scheduled task" part that this is run from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap. OP is asking about ArcGIS Online, (presumably alone as nothing else mentioned). This is also something I am looking for.

KhaledHassen

FYI we are working hard in online to get webhooks added to online feature service. We are trying to avoid having our clients to keep/making polling requests to our server looking for updates and the solution will not scale eventually.

Online target online Dec. online release. If we will able to release sooner, we will let you know.

Thanks

Khaled

ChelseaRozek

These python scripts are run as scheduled tasks from your computer with Windows Task Scheduler. Here's an (old) ESRI article about the process: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/product/analytics/scheduling-a-python-script-or-model-to-r.... These python scripts can access your hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online to check for new features. It would be cool if setting notifications was completely built in to ArcGIS Online. You'll sorta get there once you can host and schedule python notebooks to run as items in AGO.

Edit: wow, what a coincidence. They just posted an updated version of that blog article: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/analytics/schedule-a-python-script-or-model-to-...

JeffLegato1
BrianHall1

Khaled,

you wrote that there is an expected December 2019 release for a webhooks online feature service for AGOL.  I am really looking forward to that and was wondering if there has been any change in expected release date.

Thank you very much,

Brian Hall

KhaledHassen

Hi Brian,

Yes the plan was to release it on December. Development is done but we still working on testing/scaling the solution. Also finishing up the docs.

The plan is to release it on March on the latest. Will update if we can make it before March.

Sorry for the delay.

Khaled 

BrianHall1

Khaled,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am looking forward to that important feature and the project can wait until then.

Thank you,

Brian

Savannah

Hi Khaled,

I was wondering if there's been any update on this topic- if we can expect it soon or not?

KhaledHassen

Hi Savannah,

Yes. We are working on releasing it in March or June release. Pl. check esri dev summit recording this year. I have a session about online feature service best practices. I have demoed the use of webhooks in online feature service. The dev summit recording will be available shortly from esri.

Thanks

Khaled

BenWalker

Hi Khaled,

Did web hooks get released in the March update? I cannot see anything in the help. Also is the dev summit recording available yet?

thanks

Ben.