ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Service Notification on new record/feature added

02-11-2015 09:26 AM
KyleJohnson
New Contributor II

Add the ability to trigger a notification (to a specified e-mail address) when a new record is created in a hosted feature service though ArcGIS Online. This would be most beneficial when leveraging the GeoForm application for collecting information from the public. A bonus ability would be to initiate notification to different e-mails depending on a specific attribute. (For example, the GeoForm has a drop down menu (generated from a domain) for "Problem type", with the options "Pothole",  "Tree Issue", etc. If the "Pothole" problem is chosen, then the email notification would go to the street department, if "Tree Issue" is chosen then the notification would go to the Urban Forester).

39 Comments
JeffLegato1

I didn't modify the python script. I only edited the .json file. 

Bud
by

Hi Khaled Hassen‌,

Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by this line?

"Just enable changeTracking in your service and you should see creating a webhook in the service admin URL."

Where can I find this functionality in ArcGIS Online?

Thank you.

BenWalker

To get to the web hooks you need to do the following

Before you can create a webhook, you must modify the service URL by adding admin/ between rest/ and services so the URL looks like the following.

https://services.arcgis.com/tenantID/ArcGIS/rest/admin/services/ServiceName/FeatureServer?

@khaled hussen, The blog you mention seems to have disappeared (return a 404 error). Has the URL changed?

Bud
by

Thanks Ben Walker. That helps.

Khaled Hassen‌ : I, too, would like to see a writeup about using webhooks with AGOL.

Bud
by

Solved:

Steps for accessing edited features' attributes from an AGOL webhook URL:

Bud
by
KhaledHassen

esri blog is now live. Pl. check it out:

Create a hosted feature service webhook 

Thanks

Khaled

by Anonymous User

@KyleJohnson and others on this thread, feature service webhooks do enable the functionality requested in this idea. The logic and email sending does need to be carried out through the webhook provider (e.g. Integromat). Was the idea specifically for exposing the triggering action that enables accessing the attributes that were edited for use in certain tasks, or providing the option to actually configure the email and recipient options with the ArcGIS Online UI? 

Thanks,

-Peter

Bud
by

@BenWalker - It looks like this post has an update.