An Option To Show All Pop-ups For Overlapping Points

10-05-2020 10:48 AM
DaveFullerton
Occasional Contributor III

In a web map, when you click on the center of overlapping points (that have the same xy), all the pop-ups are displayed (see 4pop.png).

4pop.PNG

If you click on the edge of the points (or just outside), only the pop-up for the top feature is displayed (see 1pop.png).

1pop.PNG
If you make the point symbol larger, the effect is exaggerated.  You can click in the point symbol and get only the pop-up for the top feature (see BigSymbol.png).

BigSymbol.PNG

This is a known behavior or limitation of the application.  Fixing it is not in the current product plan.  

Inconsistent number of pop-ups displayed when clicking on stacked points 

I assume that it is not being address for performance reasons.  That is why I suggest that it be an option that we be able to turn on in the settings of the web map.

5 Comments
RobertKacir

If this feature was implemented it would avoid a lot of confusion for some users. It's not obvious to them that there are multiple features overlapping and sharing the same geometry. panning through features using the popup arrows is not intuitive. Showing them all at once in a popup could help with this. 

by Anonymous User

Have you looked into different Arcade expressions to handle that situation?...might be a good place to start.

DaveFullerton

I contacted esri support in an effort to find a workaround.  They did not suggest any workaround.

by Anonymous User
DaveFullerton

That might work, but it would still not be very good.  Let's assume you could do a point on point spatial query in the same featureclass, and you combine the information from, for example, 4 points in the pop-up.  There would still be the problem of the number of pop-ups displayed.  If you had 4 stacked points, you would sometimes have 1 pop-up, but more of the time you would have 4 pop-ups that would repeat the same information.  It seems to me it would just lead to a different problem.

However, if we were able to restrict the number of pop-ups displayed to just 1 per click, then I think your suggestion might work.