Allow overwrite of map service even if replicas have been created

04-06-2015 12:00 PM
OlafSweetman
New Contributor II
Currently, it appears that a map service cannot be overwritten if any replicas have been created (i.e. any user has synced layers for offline use).  It seems the only option is to delete and republish the map service.  Which means you might have to re-create your maps from scratch.  And for any users with replicas, they have to delete the entire map from their device and re-download it.  This is way more complicated and time-consuming than it needs to be!  Please allow map services to be overwritten and replace any existing replicas!  Yes, that means that any updates will need to be synced and exported first.  People are smart and will figure that out.
2 Comments
DanielleKulas
Yes! I have been running into a lot of problems with this lately. I foresee it becoming a major issue when updates to our data happen (quarterly) and field staff are busy and don't want to spend a ton of time re-downloading maps for offline use. Please ESRI! This would be a huge help. Thanks for posting.
BradWells2
This is crucial.  We can't be expected to manage every one of our users' replicas any time we want to make an update to the feature service.