Select to view content in your preferred language

AGOL roles - grey out unavailable options

09-18-2015 09:14 AM
LorriPeltz-Lewis
New Contributor II

Can you please just grey out options that the end user doesn't have access to when their defined role doesn't allow the tool? There is no way to easily see what the Administrator enabled/disabled for us end users - it makes for a very frustrating experience using this software and using the Esri generic help that assumes you have complete access to everything.

I am not an administrator of this system so I know that many items I could have access to I don't. That's OK, but when I am told just go over and select X, then Y to get something done I can CAN"T SEE IT on the menu it drives me NUTS. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why I could not see the Tile Layer option. I was following the instructions, I deleted, shared, deleted, shared, re-read the Esri AGOL help site, deleted, shared, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

Finally I had an AGOL Adminsitrator look at what I could see and they said "Oh! - you don't see that. Your role must not allow you to do this."

I don't mind not having access, but why is this removed completely from the webpage - can you please just grey these out? That way I would know that I don't ahve access to thsi and I don't waste my time trying to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Lorri

1 Comment
LorriPeltz-Lewis
This just happened again - I am trying to make a copy of a web map application - I spent a lot of time setting this up and I can't make a copy of it. I'd like to reuse it at the point it is at. After struggling with this for a couple of hours, researching templates, and reading that this is available I suspected again I did not have access. So I asked - sure enough a SAVE AS option is avialble to the Administrators, but not me. Thankfully they made a copy of it for me, but I wasted a lot of effort getting to this point.

ESRI - CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE AN OPTION TO SHOW TOOLS NOT AVIALBLE AS GREYED OUT???