Add Records to ArcGIS Online Hosted Table

11-29-2018 04:08 PM
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor

This idea might already be posted but I'll put it out there just in case it hasn't.  This week, we were trying to edit a standalone table that is hosted in ArcGIS Online.  We wanted to manually add a few records to a table but we couldn't do it from the Map interface or from the Data tab in the Item Details window.  Editing was enabled on the table.  The help document about editing tables in ArcGIS Online made no mention of manually adding records to a hosted standalone table.  My idea then is:

Allow a user, with the proper permissions, the ability to manually add records to a hosted standalone table in ArcGIS Online (this assume the table has editing enabled).

Thank you. 

29 Comments
MelissaNorthey

I've just run into this limitation today and I can't believe it is a limitation!  I have a table that I'd like a user to update in an AGOL web map or app.  The table has multiple views based on it in our database that show as feature services in other web mapping applications.  I published this table in a web service with editing made available and I want to give the user the power to maintain their table which includes adding records.  

RandalGreene3

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, Melissa! I previously commented, but will make another appeal:

I understand that ArcGIS is a primarily spatial platform, and they've gone out of their way to provide excellent approaches for spatial data on the web - maps, app builders, surveys, stories, templates, etc. However, there seems to be an assumption that even Enterprise clients have other infrastructure or approaches for dealing with tabular data, and that is often not the case. As far as I can tell, we are expected to build custom code-based (i.e., expensive) apps or widgets directly using Esri APIs and/or published services.

Relational data is a foundation of the platform, the technology hasn't really changed much in 30 years, and it's not going away anytime soon. I suggest Esri add customizable tabular editing capabilities to web maps and app builders that includes:

• Adding, not just editing, records not tied to a feature class.
  • Smartly presenting data for related tables and navigating among the customized editors for those tables.
  • Supporting dropdowns dynamically populated from records in other tables (i.e., the classic lookup table from relational database 101). Domains just don't cut it because they are not editable on-the-fly by users.
MatthewStull1

I just wanted to thank everyone who's commented on my idea/post here.  ESRI just needs to do this!  It's a no-brainer...

TonyLau1

+1 for this functionality. opening the table with pro just to add a row is a very involved workaround.

MatthewStull1

This problem cropped up again on me last week.  Some staff members in my organization need to make some very basic updates to some hosted tables that drive some dashboards.  Because they couldn't use ArcGIS Pro, their computers weren't powerful enough for it, I had to download spreadsheets and have them update spreadsheets with the new data.  Then I had them send the updated spreadsheets back to me and I uploaded the spreadsheets to update (append) the table.  Something that should have taken just a few minutes took at least an hour.  This is so ridiculous!!  Fix it!!

AnthonyJonesRSK

Hi all, I've just come across this issue myself. Could a solution be to build a Survey123 form on top of the table? The form can then be used to add new records to the table. It could also be used to edit the form (to ensure some QA/standardisation) but of course this can be done from the tables item page too.

MatthewStull1

Thanks for sharing that idea of using Survey123.  I will have to try to it out.  Even if it does work, it's not the best/easiest solution.  Maybe ESRI can make a "Table Editor" as an app or maybe just a tool within AGOL.

AnthonyJonesRSK

Agree Matthew, it would be much easier to be able to do this from the item page. You can edit the table in the Data tab but it would be good to be able to add records there too. You could add the link to the S123 form to the item description page so users could access it relatively easily too. Another option is to build a quick editing app in Experience Builder until a more elegant solution made available.  

DanielleRogers

I was just googling to find out how to do this.  I am really surprised this simple functionality isn't available directly in AGO.  Would be super useful, especially when using the dashboards to present relational data.  Please add this!

bdewitt_olsson

The fact that you can edit existing records directly in AGO makes it all the more frustrating that you can't add records. The functionality is ALMOST there, just not quite.