Drop down into another drop down

Jump to solution
06-03-2019 03:36 AM
IBGemeente_Amsterdam
New Contributor II

Hey Esri,

I'm working on a map where people can place points with a comment. I have a few categories that they can choose from in a drop down menu, but would it be possible to make sub categories? So for example a comment about parking. where when placed you are presented by a unique list of options for parking. And when you choose a comment about trafic for example you get a different drop down menu. Is this possible within Arcgis Online?

Kind regards,

Bram van den Berg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi IB Gemeente Amsterdam‌,

Yes, this can be done by using subtypes with applied coded domains in your feature service.

Introduction to subtypes—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Subtypes are a subset of features in a feature class, or objects in a table, that share the same attributes. They are used as a method to categorize your data.

Subtypes allow you to do the following:

• Apply coded (or ranged) domains to the fields of a subtype, enabling you to constrain input information to a valid set of values.

So, in your case, comments about either parking or traffic would be the subtypes, both showing a different range of domain values (subcategories) in a pull down list.

Recently implemented this (for a customer in the Netherlands) and it was exactly what they wanted.

Hope this helps,

Egge-Jan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi IB Gemeente Amsterdam‌,

Yes, this can be done by using subtypes with applied coded domains in your feature service.

Introduction to subtypes—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Subtypes are a subset of features in a feature class, or objects in a table, that share the same attributes. They are used as a method to categorize your data.

Subtypes allow you to do the following:

• Apply coded (or ranged) domains to the fields of a subtype, enabling you to constrain input information to a valid set of values.

So, in your case, comments about either parking or traffic would be the subtypes, both showing a different range of domain values (subcategories) in a pull down list.

Recently implemented this (for a customer in the Netherlands) and it was exactly what they wanted.

Hope this helps,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
IBGemeente_Amsterdam
New Contributor II

Thank you for the quick response! So I understand that it is only possible in Arcgis Pro, and then it is possible to host this in Arcgis online and it will keep this functionality?

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Bram,

You did not really describe the architecture of your application, but while you mentioned a map in ArcGIS Online, I supposed you have a basemap with a Feature Layer on top of it.

This Feature Layer should contain the subtypes and domains, as explained above.

You can manually prepare or use a Python script to create a Feature Class with subtypes and domains in ArcGIS ArcMap (or ArcGIS Pro, if you wish to) and publish it from there to ArcGIS Online.

(Personally, I have written a Python script to prepare a FGDB with Feature Classes with the relevant functionality, just in case I have to ever implement it again...)

P.S. Als je wilt kun je buiten dit forum om contact opnemen om e.e.a. nader te bespreken.

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
IBGemeente_Amsterdam
New Contributor II

I will contact you outside of the forum in that case, might be easier for the current situation. Is it okay if I send you an email on the address you have on your website?

Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

You can find me here:

Egge-Jan Pollé 

0 Kudos