Allow ArcGIS Online to sample full data when rendering symbology

Jump to solution
01-06-2021 07:29 AM
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

I have created a custom Arcade expression for a layer's symbology based on two attribute fields, Land Use and Revised Land Use. If the Revised Land Use field is empty, then symbolize the parcel based on the Land Use field but if the Revised Land Use is not empty, then symbolize the parcel based on that field. The two attributes share the same coded domains of 28 possible values. The layer contains parcel data for the entire county so there are approximately 300,000 parcels. My issue is that when ArcGIS Online generates symbology based on the custom expression, it only samples a subset of the data and does not return the full list of possible values. My question is how do I get ArcGIS Online to sample the full dataset so that I can configure the symbology for all possible values?

I have read this post but the solution presented is not ideal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Miguel Fernandez

Miguel Fernandez
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Miguel-Fernandez ,

I agree that only sampling a part of the data makes it hard to symbolize all possibilities. Arcade in the symbology profile will not scan the entire database either. If you are able to analyze the data and deduce the possible combinations, you could use https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ to edit the json of the web map and add the missing possibilities in the json. This is a tricky option. Make a copy of the web map before the edit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Miguel-Fernandez ,

I agree that only sampling a part of the data makes it hard to symbolize all possibilities. Arcade in the symbology profile will not scan the entire database either. If you are able to analyze the data and deduce the possible combinations, you could use https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ to edit the json of the web map and add the missing possibilities in the json. This is a tricky option. Make a copy of the web map before the edit.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I was running into this issue today too. It almost seems like a useless feature if it won't sample the entire dataset?

Are there any updates for workarounds that anyone knows of?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos