AGOL: AppId authentication and access to private resources?

08-12-2014 10:15 AM
Ganael_Jatteau
New Contributor II

I followed this documentation to login to AGOL with an application (using appId + appSecret):

App logins and OAuth 2.0 | ArcGIS for Developers

The problem with that solution is I only have access to the public content. Is there a way to access a private resource from my organisation with that type of authentication?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DonOpgenorth
Esri Contributor

I've moved your post into the  Arcgis Online Developers space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. I have also added in a few additional tags. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Don

0 Kudos
Ganael_Jatteau
New Contributor II

Thanks I was used to the legacy forum and got lost with geonet.

0 Kudos
Ganael_Jatteau
New Contributor II

Just to add more precisions.

I have the impression that the rules have changed with an AGOL update that occurs at the beginning of August.

Before this update, I was not able to see the credits by application (from the portal) ; however I was able to see the private content while logging with an AppId.

Anyone knows if this is a new rule in AGOL?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
PatrickArlt1
Esri Contributor

In answer to this your application will only be able to read content owned by the same user that created the app.

So if you have a private feature service owned by the same user you can use the token to read data from the service but not anything else.

if you want to access private content on ArcGIS Online the best way to use OAuth 2 which will allow you access users content. User logins and OAuth 2.0 | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
MeghanKulkarni
New Contributor III

Hello Patrick, 

I've ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8 federated with ArcGIS Server. I've used the portal admin user to create an application with appld and appsecret. I have entered this info in the proxy.config file. I'm trying to access the map image layer item. When I'm trying to access this secure resource from 3rd party application (asp.net) I get a response "error 498: invalid token" when I look into the Network tab of Google Chrome. 

Can you help? 

Meghan Kulkarni

0 Kudos
RobertDriessen1
New Contributor II

Hi Meghan 

I am having the same problem as you.  Have you managed to find a solution?

Rob

0 Kudos