Looking up Township/Range

05-16-2022 12:39 PM
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a project and I'm not sure what product would be best suited for my needs. I have some coworkers that are looking up parcels by the township and range in a binder full of paper maps that then has various boundaries drawn on them. So this system was made as a stopgap that then just got kicked down the road for far too long.

Ideally I'd like for the user to just enter the Section, Township and Range designation (S10 T12S R01E) which would then search in the attribute table and find it and zoom them into the layer and from there I can overlay the needed boundaries on top of that.

When I've been messing with the web app Zone Lookup app it doesn't seem to allow me to search for an attribute which is really unfortunate. Thought I'd ask you guys if there was a simpler way or if I need to do something like a leaflet app with html fields to enter the relevant information.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you looking to use Web AppBuilder to create a web app for this project? The Search widget can be configured to search only specific fields in your attribute table. It's fairly customizable but the default behavior is to zoom to the selected record. If the user will be searching by S T R, then I assume the app will be zooming to features in a PLSS feature class of some kind?

0 Kudos
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

Correct, specifically off the Section layer with the Section and Township/Range concatenated, but then also just the Township/Range incase someone doesn't include the section.

I was just messing with the search widget but it doesn't seem to be doing the zoom to/pan to correctly. It displays fine on the map and populates itself in the search bar but then brings me way off the map. I just grabbed this PLSS from our data library let me add my own and see if it is still doing that.

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

It's possible there's a spatial reference issue. Try projecting your data to Web Mercator (WKID 3857) before sharing it with ArcGIS Online or use a custom basemap in the coordinate system of your choice. I built a test app using this Public Land Survey System data from BLM and, once configured, the search widget was able to find and zoom to features.

0 Kudos
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

OK, I think it was working I just didnt have the trigger set up correctly. The only thing I find kind of weird now is that it only will pan/zoom once, if I move the map around and go back to click on the result it doesnt move. If I delete one letter and then search again it will. Does yours behave like that? 

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

My test app always zooms back to the feature clicked in the search results without performing another search, no matter how the map changes. A quick search for a demo WAB app also shows it working correctly.

0 Kudos