What's Coming: Introducing User Types

11-06-2018 06:34 AM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
10 37 8,946

Prior to the December 2018 update of ArcGIS Online, capabilities and identity were determined by user levels (Level 1 and Level 2), allowing ArcGIS Online members to view content or have access to all capabilities within ArcGIS Online. Our user community had asked for a wider variety of capabilities and apps. To meet these requirements, ArcGIS is evolving levels to user types. User types are a combination of identity, capabilities and apps that align with the needs of typical members in an organization.

Learn more by reading this ArcGIS Blog

37 Comments
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Why are you not including any information regarding the pricing of these revamped user types? The AGOL website still points back to the current level 1/2 pricing tiers.

KellyGerrow

Hi Steve,

The pricing page will be updated with the release as this is a live purchasing page, thus still has the current pricing. User Type quotes and questions can be answered by your account rep, so please get in contact with them if you want to understand more about the pricing before the update.

-Kelly 

TjibbeWubbels
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly, in your blogpost you wrote "the change to user types for most members won’t be noticed, as the functionality will stay the same, but administrators will notice the updated names". But when I look here: ArcGIS Online Subscriptions, I see that ArcGIS Pro is not mentioned as an add-on app for any user type, and only mentioned as an included app for the user type GIS Professionals". So when all the level 2 users in my organization become user type "Creator" after the update, will they loose their ArcGIS Pro license? And if so, can I return the license to them without updating the user type to GIS Professional?

-Tjibbe

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I understand from what I have been told, nothing changes for existing users so they will be able to keep on using Pro.

MichaelTonkel
New Contributor II

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hmmm, let's see: On the surface it looks like Creator user types are equal to the current Publisher role, with the exception of Creator's being able perform Admin-type functions.  Am I right in assuming that as our current Admin I will be able to tweak the Creator type to NOT have admin functions? 

I mean, I can't have my various publishers admin-ing access, capabilities etc for other users.....

KellyGerrow

That is correct, I will update the blog to indicate this.

ArcGIS Pro can be assigned as an add-on app. If it is already assigned to a level 2 user, it will remain assigned once with the update. An upcoming blog will further outline this workflow.

KellyGerrow

HI David,

User types determine the available capabilities. Roles will still be applied to set the desired privileges for users. ROles applied before the update will be applied after the update.

-Kelly

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Awesome thanks Kelly

SarahAnderson8
New Contributor

I don't see Explorer for ArcGIS app in any of the app categories (something we consider to be an essential viewing app for people in the field). Will that be part of the Essential Apps bundle or Field Apps bundle? Or is this app going away?!

KellyGerrow

Hi Sarah,

Explorer for ArcGIS App is available to all user types, including anonymous users and public users.For this reason it isn't listed as a field app but is available will continue exist.

AmandaSmedts
New Contributor

Is it possible to have ArcGIS Pro as an add-on app for editors or creators who wish to have access to more editing tools available in a desktop application, such as ArcGIS Pro, rather than being limited to editing through the web browser?

KellyGerrow

HI Amanda,

ArcGIS Pro is not compatible with the Editor user type. It can be added on to the creator user type, enabling editing in ArcGIS Pro.

-Kelly

JulieMikolajczyk3
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info, Kelly. I look forward to learning more about these much-needed changes. Related to Pro, if we use a single use license instead of the named user license, will users still be able to log into AGOL from within Pro to edit the AGOL content they have access to, without having to be a creator or higher? I'm anticipating that most users in our organization will be "editors".

AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

When will these new user types be applied to on-prem ArcGIS Enterprise?

XanderBakker

You can  expect them in March 2019 when 10.7 is released. This will only be available for clients that upgrade to Enterprise 10.7.

KellyGerrow

HI Julie, 

In terms of licensing you will need to have at least a Creator user type in order to be licensed to use ArcGIS Pro. If you were to license your product through with another creator user type, or single use license, you could interact with content through ArcGIS Pro based on the user type and/or Role assigned, within the limitations of the available privileges. When purchasing ArcGIS Desktop, it will include a creator User Type and an ArcGIS Pro license. For this reason, you should have a creator User Type. If you want to explore this licensing method, I suggest getting in contact with your account team

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, What user types will be able to perform a buffer (or any analysis for that matter) using the Analysis Widgets in Web Application Builder for ArcGIS Essential Bundle . In Portal For ArcGIS that requires a Level 2 Named User. What User type will be needed in AGOL after Dec 4, and in Portal for ArcGIS at 10.7?

KellyGerrow

Hello,

A Creator or GIS Professional User Type has access to the analysis tools. Existing level 2 users will convert to Creator's with the release so you won't need to make any changes to what you already have in ArcGIS Online. Please note that the release date has changed to December 5th

AlexStevenson
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly!

Now that the AGOL version update has been rolled out, how can we assign Navigator licenses as part of the member invitation process?  Currently, it's a bit of an administrative burden to send our users an AGOL invitation link, wait for them to accept it, then have them let us know that they accepted the link (or hear about issues when they try to log into Navigator on their mobile device) to which we can then assign them a Navigator license.  

Thanks!

-Alex

KellyGerrow

HI Alex Stevenson

You can do this now when inviting new members. Assigning add-on licenses is part of the set members properties workflow when inviting new members:

This workflow is fully outlined in this blog article:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/whats-coming-in-arcgis-online... 

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Thanks,

Kelly

AlexStevenson
New Contributor II

Awesome - Thank you, Kelly!  

AlexStevenson
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

We have confirmed that we can add the Navigator license during the workflow as long as we are not adding the member using their enterprise login. With the enterprise login method, we can select the Group(s) we would like to add them to but seem to be missing the Add-On licenses tab as shown below:

Thanks,

Alex

KellyGerrow

HI Alex, 

Thanks for the question and feedback. This functionality didn't make this release with Enterprise Logins, but is planned for an upcoming release. Will post a better timeline in the New Year.

-Kelly

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Hi esri folks and fellow users,

The following discussion/question relates more to on-prem ArcGIS Enterprise.  We have a global user base broken down into regions.  The current default role (and in the future, user type) for new users of the system will be Level 1 Named users, which will crosswalk to Viewer in the new user-type paradigm.  The challenge we now face at 10.5.1 (in Beta review) and it seems will stay true to the new system is this:  A user must be in an Administrative role to change another a user from a Level 1 Named User to a Level 2 Named User in order to create content, perform buffer analysis, etc. 

1) Is this going to remain true with the new user-type paradigm?   

2) Are others finding this a challenge at 10.5.1 and above? 

Our use case is this (using user-type model terms):  A Viewer in Italy would like to create content, (note we see this as a frequent request that will increase for the system when it goes to PRD).  They must request for a User-Type change to Creator or above.  Unfortunately the only user-type/role who can currently make this change is an Administrator of the Portal in the hosting center.  Moreover, the Regional leadership would need to make the call as to if this person is allowed to change to this user-type, so the folks who can make the access call cant execute the action.  It would be ideal if the Regional leadership could have the privilege to change the users from Viewer to other user-types that require being able to create content.  Note there is an Admin privilege that can be given to these Regional leaders that does allow them to change users between Level 2 custom roles, while they are NOT Administrators, they are publishers. 

So in the new user-type paradigm it sounds like these privileges still exist, can a privilege (or a User Manager/Curator user-type) be added to allow non-Admins to make this change without being able to change, for example, things like which servers are participating in the federation and other system configuration items you would NOT want non-Admins making.  Wondering if other users watching this thread see value in this suggestion (which was a capability at 10.3.1, btw).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi J Tessier,

Let's break down your questions and get some answers. 

1) You currently have a default role set for your users to be a Level 1, in the new user type model this will be a Viewer. = Correct. 

2) Currently a user must be a Level 2 user with administrative privileges to change another user's level. = Yes, still true under user types, the only thing that changes is the terminology, instead of a Level 2 you would use a Creator or GIS Professional with administrative privileges

3) Do the privileges that define custom roles still exist with user types = Yes, you can still create custom roles to tailor what you want people to be able to do. 

4) Is there a privilege that will allow a non-Administrator to reassign another member's user type? Currently no, this is more of a enhancement request. I suggest adding it to the ArcGIS Ideas site so it can get traction. Internally, we are already working on more fine-grain portal privileges, but having the bump from users expressing interest certainly helps.

Hope this helps answer your questions,

Shannon

ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III

I just read Jeff Shaner's post on "Taking User Types to the Field" but can't post a comment to it due to ESRI's new blog site not allowing comments so am asking the question here.  From what I can tell, User Types restricts a user to have a particular permission/role.  I have many Collector users that are involved in multiple projects (Project A, Project B, Project C).  In Project A, a particular user is the developer of an app.  In Project B, that same person is a data collector.  In Project C, that same user should be restricted to only having viewing rights. 

So, I would like to set a user's permission/role on a project by project basis.  Is this scenario possible using User Types?  If not, is there a solution that would work for this?  

Thanks,

Chris

GregoryLund2
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

What you wrote made perfect sense (in an ideal world), but now that I am attempting to add users for the upcoming quarter of school at UW Tacoma, I am not allowed to assign the User Type: "GIS Professional" (I know, wasn't supposed to be there, but I tried after these three failed): "GIS Professional Basic", "GIS Professional Standard" and "GIS Professional Advanced". I chose this option because my students (Undergraduates) will be using advanced features, and I'd like to allow them to use Pro. (It appears that GIS Professional are the only user types that indicated pro was included.

Suggestions to allow the "GIS Professional Basic" user type? Please?

I am in crunch time mode, classes start on the 7th.

Regards,

Greg

XanderBakker

If you can't assign any GIS Professional User Types, then you probably don't have any to assign. In December when the new user types were introduced all Level 1 Named Users became User Type Viewer and Level 2 Named Users became User Type Creators. Only when you negotiate new user types or change existing ones, you will be able to have the new User Types (Editor, Field Worker and GIS Professional). It is best to reach out to your sales rep and see what options align best to what you want to do.

GregoryLund2
New Contributor III

Thank you Xander Bakker, I as wondering if that was the issue, because we're a University. We have a VERY VERY odd license situation, thus you have likely nailed it.
I'll go ahead with Creator for now, so that I can get my class up and running.

Second note: Rhetorical question... Why must I re-log in TWICE, to get to this reply? Had to log in at the top (AGOL?) and then into GeoNet. Interesting that the log in doesn't 'stick'. 🙂

Alas, I'm happy to hear back from someone so quickly. Thank you again!

Regards,

Greg

XanderBakker

Concerning the log-in, you can see that the welcome screen of GeoNet has two of them:

I normally go to the URL https://community.esri.com/inbox which will trigger the log-in to GeoNet. 

There are a lot of resources to start with some "basic" to advanced exercises based on ArcGIS Online. On a later moment you can include ArcGIS Pro to do some more spatial analysis and data management exercises.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes universities and colleges do have 'different' licensing situations.  I can assure you that esri is pushing Pro and making it widely available throughout the educational community goes a long way.  I also suspect that your licensing doesn't expire until well after term is over so you won't 'lose' anything in terms of abilities and licensing that you currently have.  Enjoy the term

GregoryLund2
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, yes, we're good on licenses etc. Esri is good to us in Education! We still use eva codes for Desktop and Pro. After reading the above info, I was wondering if no eva code would be needed for Pro. It's all good, going with the flow... You too, Enjoy the Term!

GregoryLund2
New Contributor III

Yep, those are the two.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You only need this for ArcGIS Desktop so you can ignore it for ArcGIS Pro.

That is the quote from our install page.  We have a licensing agreement that needs signing, then our admin assigns permissions from there.  We just submit a class list.  I am sure every institutions handles things a bit differently, but we have had no problems so far.  Of course we have computer labs, so technically the 'student copies' are a 'nice' but not a 'need'

lxd
by
New Contributor III

How do I access user types through ArcGIS Api for Python?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
About the Author
I love interactive maps and apps on the internet! The maps and apps that customers create and share on the web, make my job awesome. I'm a Product Manager with the ArcGIS Online team in Redlands, California. I am a proud graduate from Carleton University and the COGS in Canada, with research focus' in Health Geography. Originally from Bedford, NS, Canada but have spent a lot of time in Haliburton and Ottawa, Ontario. I have a passion for the outdoors and dogs.