What's Coming in ArcGIS Online - September 2021

09-21-2021 10:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
4 10 2,738

The update is live! See the new capabilities in the What's New blog. 

On September 21, from 5:00 p.m. to midnight (PDT), we plan to update ArcGIS Online. Please note that all planned updates are subject to change. Our What's New email, blog article, and documentation will provide a comprehensive list of enhancements. 

Additional Map Viewer Capabilities

• Charts in General Availability: Add charts to your map to help discover patterns, trends, and relationships in data. In addition to bar charts, histograms, and scatterplots, line charts are now available. Line charts allow you to visualize change over a continuous range, such as time or distance.
  • Layer Effects: Quickly create striking maps using layer effects. Both familiar and novel graphic techniques, including drop shadow, blur, hue rotate, invert, and gray scale, can be applied without changing your layer's original style. Bring new features to light and improve legibility with layer effects.
  • Feature Display Order: Set the feature display order to control the order in which overlapping features in a feature layer are drawn on the map.

More ArcGIS Instant Apps

• Sidebar: The Sidebar app includes features such as pop-ups, editing, and filtering in the side panel of the app. The filtering capability enables the app author to define queries to filter the contents of the app.
  • Basic: The Basic app includes all the standard tools for showcasing your map and scene, including a legend and bookmarks. Use this app to provide your audience with a straightforward way to view and interact with your map.

Schedule Administrative Reports

Administrators can schedule administrative reports on intervals such as day, week, or month. This ensures that reports are available whenever they are ready for review. Scheduled reports are listed in their own section for convenient reference.

Download Options for ArcGIS Dashboards

In addition to providing an intuitive way to visualize and interact with data, ArcGIS Dashboards gives users the option to allow data in their dashboards to be downloaded. Downloaded data can be used for additional analysis and custom reports or transferred to other applications.

Enjoy a tour of the new features in ArcGIS Online by watching this demo video.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to Transition

Home Page: Legacy ArcGIS Online home pages will automatically be upgraded to the new home page early next year unless you request an extension. The new home page editor makes it easy to build a modern home page that meets accessibility requirements and displays beautifully across device types.

Esri Story Maps: The classic Esri Story Maps templates are moving into extended support. Begin your transition to ArcGIS StoryMaps, the next generation storytelling tool. Experience its modern builder that offers new capabilities including express maps, timelines, custom themes, reader analytics, collections, autosave, and draft mode.

Raster basemaps (not including imagery, elevation, and polar maps) are moving into mature support. Transition to Esri vector basemaps, which are available in more than 20 map styles and more than 30 languages and are updated every few weeks. Because vector basemaps are much smaller in size than their raster counterparts, they are more performant and efficient to download for offline use.

10 Comments
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

I look forward to testing the downloads on Dashboards tomorrow, this is fantastic news and I am glad to see it finally implemented. Greatly appreciated & God bless,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't wait for the dashboard download option... Of course, it would be nice to have the same in Portal.....

#dashboardprinting

MatthewReed
New Contributor II

Has anyone else had issues with point-data symbology not displaying in (new) Map Viewer since this update pushed through last night?  It's like the points just aren't even there, though we can see the data in the Attribute Table.  I even tried selecting where one should be, thinking maybe it was just a display error.

Map Viewer Classic & the Field Maps app still show the layer normally; it's only the new Map Viewer (and consequently Dashboard) that's failing to display them.

My coworker was just on the phone with ESRI a little while ago and they were only really able to confirm that it's definitely happening with multipoint layers; lines don't seem to be affected.  I don't know if polygons were tested, since we don't have any in the effort in the field right now.

I don't think they were able to track down an actual cause, yet, though.

GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/create-and-share/download-data.htm 

Data Download works excellently! Here is the documentation for anyone interested. I haven't experienced any serious roll-out bugs here, testing it with hosted feature services has proven flawless. I am very impressed and eager to continue testing and using this new feature!

Cheers, 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MatthewReed development is aware and working on a fix. 

MatthewReed
New Contributor II

@Anonymous User Sounds great; glad to know it wasn't just us, somehow!

RobinDiSalvo1
Occasional Contributor

Are we able to join layers in Map Viewer now? I look forward to creating thematic maps again.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RobinDiSalvo1 Join features is currently only supported in Map Viewer Classic. It will be available in a future release of the new Map Viewer. Check out this portion of doc for more information: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/join-features.htm

RichSiko
New Contributor III

Has anyone else had problems exporting data from a feature layer?    I've tried exports to shapefile, csv, and kml and it always hangs. Even feature layers with less than ten records will not export.

I just opened Esri Case #02900313.   The person from support logged in and verified it isn't working.

RichSiko
New Contributor III

Esri Case #02900313 is now closed.   I was told according to the backend team it was a very short service disruption for exporting data in ArcGIS Online but now it is resolved.

A temporary inconvenience and not the result of the latest upgrade.