ArcGIS Blog: Organize your Items with Content Categories

06-18-2018 09:18 AM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
1 0 511

Do you constantly wish for better ways to organize ArcGIS content based on subject matter and descriptive qualities rather than just the item type and last modification date? Do you want to find your roads feature layer with 2012 data rather than looking for layers that were created in 2012?

The April 2018 update of ArcGIS Online*  introduced the ability to assign user-defined categories to items, creating thematic parameters that can be used as filters to refine search results and browsing experiences. Content categories enable administrators, group managers and users with the manage categories privilege to build a categorical schema for content that can then be used by members to categorize their items thematically.

Check out the rest of this article here and let us know how you will use content categories in the comments below.

About the Author
I love interactive maps and apps on the internet! The maps and apps that customers create and share on the web, make my job awesome. I'm a Product Manager with the ArcGIS Online team in Redlands, California. I am a proud graduate from Carleton University and the COGS in Canada, with research focus' in Health Geography. Originally from Bedford, NS, Canada but have spent a lot of time in Haliburton and Ottawa, Ontario. I have a passion for the outdoors and dogs.