Search Content by a wild card in domain name and feature name

02-17-2020 11:37 PM
Labels (1)
WilliamKalande
New Contributor III

I know for instance Denver Open Data Catalog  has crime shapefile and gdb. Is there a way I can include  (wildcard) part of the  domain name (Say Denver*) and feature name (Say Crime-Shapefile*)  in the content search?

Reason I want to do this is because I wish to be able to carry out exploratory relevant data search on a number of domains.

In this case, though I knew the exact file names, they did not even appear in my such despite the fact they can be publicly accessed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi William,

The GIS module in the ArcGIS API for Python is for working with ArcGIS Online or Enterprise instances. So by setting outside_org=True, you're allowing the search to continue to ArcGIS items that have been shared publicly in their ArcGIS Portal. You cannot use content.search to search external websites. Judging by the endpoint of the shapefile you are requesting in the Denver Open Data Portal (https://www.denvergov.org/media/gis/DataCatalog/crime/shape/crime.zip) it doesn't look like there's a public ArcGIS Portal item for the content.search command to find.

However, if their were a public Portal item with the name '... Crime-Shapefile ...' your wildcard usage would yield the correct item. See here for more ways to query ArcGIS content using the content.search command.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Josh