Are Service credits required for analysis executed in ArcGIS notebooks that came with Pto?

08-20-2021 11:14 AM
Anish_Adhikari
Occasional Contributor

I am new to notebooks and started by working on ArcGIS Online version of notebooks to get the number of points that lies within a polygon. (features.summarize_data.aggregate_points) function. I just found out that it uses up a lots of credits in ArcGIS Online. My question is if I use the same code in the ArcGIS notebooks that came with my Pro and run it from my desktop, will it consume credits? I am aware that it will consume credits to publish features to ArcGIS Online which I am aware of but my question is does it apply to the analysis tool that I will be using? I will be importing few features from ArcGIS Online, running the function, updating features and publishing to ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you review Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

under Credits by Capability

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using Notebooks through ArcGIS Pro and running the analysis tools on your desktop machine, no you will not consume ArcGIS Online credits.  Credits are only consumed when performing actions within the ArcGIS Online system.

0 Kudos
Anish_Adhikari
Occasional Contributor

@DanPatterson @ReeseFacendini  it actually did you ArcGIS Online credits when running the desktop version as well. I had the status dashboard open in ArcGIS Online when running the notebook in the desktop version, and the credit usage jumped by few hundred credits after running the notebook.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anish,

You will need to provide code snippets and context for us to better assist. If you were running analysis on ArcGIS Online items, the analysis was happening in Online and not on your desktop machine, thus consuming credits. It largely depends on where your notebook is 'pointed'.

Josh

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So the question remains... is the help topic I referred to correct (last two entries) or is there some clarification that needs to be made to it, or references needed to other documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos