Allow Python Notebooks subscribe to Enterprise Webhook Events

08-11-2020 10:10 AM
JohnMDye
Occasional Contributor III

Webhooks are a really powerful new feature of ArcGIS Enteprise, allowing org admins and developers to build workflows hat are triggered by events occuring within ArcGIS Enterprise. One of the big limitations of webhooks for many enterprises however is receiving them. Many organizations do not have access to PowerBI, MS Flow, AWS Lambda Integromat, Zappier or other public services to facilitate the processing of these webhooks.

ArcGIS Notebooks and Notebook Server are also incredibly powerful features, supporting hosted python runtime environments that can be triggered for execution via the REST APIs Execute Notebook operation.

What would be really great would be if we could somehow subscribe a given notebook to a given webhook event and when that webhook fired, the notebook could receive the payload and execute. 

This would allow us to have a completely self-contained webhooks environment for both sending and receiving webhook events, processing them and performing some logic based on the event occuring. 

9 Comments
JonEmch
Status changed to: Implemented

Hello there John! Thank you for logging this idea. We have implemented this feature at the 10.9.1 version of ArcGIS Notebooks. See our documentation on this feature here: Automate a notebook using webhooks

rachelm

Hi @JonEmch -  Are webhooks available with ArcGIS Online Notebooks?  Is there any horizon for adding a Notebook widget in Integromat?

thanks

Rachel

JonEmch

@rachelm Yes, this feature has been available in ArcGIS Online since June of 2020. One of my colleagues wrote this excellent tech article talking about it: How To: Create a webhook with Integromat which sends an email notification when a feature service is...

rachelm

Hi @JonEmch ,

Yes, I have successfully created webhooks based on a service update thanks to that post, however I don't see how I can integrate an AGOL Notebook into the workflow.  My question is specific to working with AGOL Notebooks as opposed to generally working with webhooks.

thanks

rachel

JonEmch

@rachelm My apologies, I misunderstood the content of the blog. After extensive digging, it seems that executeNotebook api call doesn't yet exist in the ArcGIS Online version of Notebooks. There is a scheduling option available: https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/create-new-scheduled-task.htm but nothing that takes a webhook at this time. I would encourage you to write an idea on this, then ping me so that I can track interest on this issue. 

FayGlunt

Hi, @JonEmch .  Any update on this idea?

RRCGeotech

Hey @JonEmch,

Just echoing @FayGlunt  - Any updates here?

Would be fantastic to trigger AGOL notebooks automatically through webhooks.

Thanks!

AdminWPZ

Fantastic idea. Would love to see it work!

SamJakson

Any updates on this? triggering AGOL notebooks automatically through webhooks is being asked for by many people.