which 2 offices offer the shortest driving distance out of 20

06-28-2011 10:21 AM
GinoLuzader
New Contributor
I have never used network analyst before and need some help.

I am running Arcmap 9.3. I can upgrade to 10, just too lazy to do so.

Here is the problem that has been presented to me.           We have 20 offices located in North Eastern US.   We want to hire two people to work out of two of these offices.  These two employees will visit the other offices on a regular basis via motor vechicle.  Flying is not an option.
I need to calulate which two office locations will result in the fewest amount of driving to the other 18.

I can come up with a point coverage of office locations as well as a road coverage but beyond that I have no idea how to use the network analyst tool set to solve this problem.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Gino Luzader
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have never used network analyst before and need some help.

I am running Arcmap 9.3. I can upgrade to 10, just too lazy to do so.

Here is the problem that has been presented to me.           We have 20 offices located in North Eastern US.   We want to hire two people to work out of two of these offices.  These two employees will visit the other offices on a regular basis via motor vechicle.  Flying is not an option.
I need to calulate which two office locations will result in the fewest amount of driving to the other 18.

I can come up with a point coverage of office locations as well as a road coverage but beyond that I have no idea how to use the network analyst tool set to solve this problem.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Gino Luzader

First thing I recomend is visit this link and work through the tutorial listed therein.  After that start small and work your way into the full blown application of NA on your problem.  Along the way, let us know how you are doing or post some specific questions or problems you run into.

[edited moments later] Here is a link to a forum posting below as well....
Good luck-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
First get familliar with Network Analyst following Joe's suggestion.

Assuming you have a road network dataset (If not, use the free one that comes on the Data and Maps DVD called SDC street network for entire USA). Add the network to ArcMap, add your office point locations to Arcmap, Create a location-allocation layer, Load your points as both Facilities and Demand. And then solve for two facilities. This will give you two offices out of your 20 that minimize the travel to others.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos