VRP - MaxOrderCount Limt of 1,000?

09-28-2012 05:54 AM
TimDolney
New Contributor
I am using residential locations (homes) as locations for garbage collection.  The homes are the "orders" and I have 1 garbage truck for the "route".  I have 1,161 homes so I entered a MaxOrderCount of 1,161 for the garbage truck in the settings.  When I try to solve, I get a warning that the MaxOrderCount is greater than 1,000 and thus it won't solve.  Is 1,000 the max for the MaxOrderCount setting within Routes?

Thanks,

-Tim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

In your problem, I think you won't be able to service all orders in one day. Therefore, you should not use only one route. The proper way to set it up is to introduce multiple routes, with each corresponding to one day of work. Solver will assign orders to different routes so you won't see the max order count violation warning. Note that MaxOrderCounts has a big impact on the solver performance. Please use a reasonable value based on your daily work estimation.

You can include a few more routes than it needs. Solver will only use a subset of routes which minimizes the total cost.

Thanks.

Anna
SantiagoGarces
New Contributor

I push back at this: it's physically possible to pick up 1000+ trash points with curbside pickup and automated arm trucks. In reality, the route will be run by only one truck. So why can't I model it as that?

If I model it as 2 routes on a set of 1000+ points, the 2 new optimized routes split up the pickup points into disparate routes run by two different trucks...therefore possibly making the combination of the routes not as efficient as modeling it as one route.

Is there a way to to run more than 1000 points on the VRP? I've seen the Auto Commit setting (under the Geodatabase section of the Environment settings) of 1000 referencing DBMS log errors...is this what I need to change?

NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, the internal solver does not support MaxOrderCount larger than 1000. There isn't any setting you can modify to change this limit.

Thanks.

Anna

0 Kudos
cynthiadaniel
New Contributor
cud u please help find me a good tutorial for solving TSP/vehicle routing problem.. is it possible to incorporate this into WebGIS ?

thanks,
cynthia
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
cynthiadaniel
New Contributor
i want to create a webGIS based tourist route planning system which finds the best sequence of the tourist spots based on certain constraints. cud u help me with a solution? hw can i implement through WebGIS.

thanks
cynthia
0 Kudos
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor
You can publish a gp service with the "Solve Vehicle Routing Problem" GP tool. Here are the details of the tool:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00480000001z000000

There is a publishing Network Analyst GP service example with another GP tool (Generate Service Areas). Publishing the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem will be similiar.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Drivetime_polygons/00570000009p000000/

Hope this is useful. Thanks.

Anna
0 Kudos
cynthiadaniel
New Contributor
thank you:)
0 Kudos
AdnanRaja
New Contributor

How you guys are managing to get MaxOrderCount limit of 1000?

I am using VRP REST API and I am facing limit of only 200 orders per route.

0 Kudos