Using landmarks in routing directions?

05-09-2012 02:01 PM
EricStipe
New Contributor III
I was wondering if there is a way to use a set of landmarks (in a point class or something) that will be included in the directions output for a Network Analyst route. So if there is a point (or building polygon for that matter) at a corner, the text would read "Turn right at 7-11, on to ___________". I found this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/35424-Displaying-point-features-as-landmarks-on-Network-Analysis-ro... , but I don't necessarily want to attribute my route paths with building information, which is what I gathered this was doing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

eric
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Eric,

This functionality is coming with the 10.1 release:
http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Setting_directions/00470000000q000000/

Please refer to the Landmark tab in the Network Directions Properties dialog box.
0 Kudos
EricStipe
New Contributor III
Thanks, Alex.

Looking at the link you provided, I noticed that under the "Road Detail" section of Setting Directions the field mappings appear to be of an internal building. Do you know if the directions will be more accommodating to walking networks in 10.1? Or if they will offer some sort of work-around? I posted a question in the forums about it a little while ago: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/56953-Altering-RoadClass-Driving-Directions-for-Walking-Network

Thanks,

Eric
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Eric,

No problem 🙂 I didn't get a chance to test these settings yet, so I can't help you here. However, you might try creating a new RoadClass (which you do when designing your network dataset) to reflect the walking road segments (if you can - install the Prerelease since there've been some issues with the landmarks in Beta2).

Another thing which might help is actually modifying the resources.xml file itself (represents the Directions text messages which you get when clicking the Directions button in ArcMap) stored under "C:\<ArcGIS installation folder>\Desktop10.0\NetworkAnalyst\Directions\resources.xml". This way, the "take" can be replaced with "traverse" and "ramp" can be replaced with "stairs".
I've customized and localized this file into several languages when needed and it is actually a very flexible and robust way to modify the route guidance details in the Directions window.

PS. Always backup the original files before making any changes.
0 Kudos
EricStipe
New Contributor III
Thanks Alex,

I've taken a look at the XML file, but I'll admit it is a bit difficult for me to figure out what exactly I should change. Do you think you could give me an example of say, changing "Ramp" to "Stairs"?

Eric
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Eric,

Apologies, I've been away for a while.

Sure. Open up the resources.xml in any text editor (I like Notepad2 and Notepad++). Find the ActionTakeRamp tag which is located under the <!--Actions--> section. There you can see the strings {take ramp} and {onto ramp}. Replace "ramp" with "stairs" (without quotes). Now just close up and open ArcMap and rerun the Solve (alternatively, you can create a new network layer and run the Solve for this one - it will use updated text). You will see in the Directions Window the changes you've made.

The resources.xml file is very flexible regarding customizing the route guidance text. I was able to change not only the text of guidance but also the order in which tags are used. So, say instead of having "<take ramp> <and> <continue>" you can have something like <continue> <by taking ramp>". The only thing you should be careful with is that the same tags are used in multiple places, so make sure to not end up editing tags in one place and then having really strange guidance in others.

There should be a Network Analyst directions localization guide available from Esri, so you can contact your local Esri distributor to see if this can be of any help. I am not sure if it gives you the schema of all tags and how they are connected and used though. Let me check it when I'll get some time 🙂

PS. Always backup the original files before making any changes. It would be a good idea to make changes in small portions and see how the guidance looks overall. Make some comments in the Resources.xml file that will help to figure out what tag and why did you move and where 🙂

Cheers,
Alex
0 Kudos
EricStipe
New Contributor III
This is great, thank you Alex. I have begun changing some things and can already see the results in the directions output. I have been having an additional problem regarding getting directions to output in 10.1 beta via model builder or a published service, which I am going to post as a new thread. If you have time and could take a look at that, it would be great!

Thanks again,

eric.

ps. here is the link to the other thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/58732-Directions-in-10.1-not-working-with-ModelBuilder-or-in-a-Netw...
0 Kudos