Using Driving Speeds and Drive Times to solve routes

12-08-2012 10:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

I am currently a student and I am currently working on a project to find  multiple routes using driving speeds and driving times. The problem I am having is that I do not have any data on the speed limits on the roads. As well I am unsure on how to implement the drive times.

Any help/directions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
First off, using the StreetMap roads, they have the speeds.  To gather drive time, you need to convert speed into Time.  Then when you solve, you will be able to get the whole drive time.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Aubin_1,

If you are running an analysis for a location in North America, you can use the network dataset that comes with your Data and Maps DVD included in your ArcGIS installation materials.  This network dataset contains speed limit information and a time-based impedance attribute you can use for drive time analysis.

If you're running an analysis for somewhere outside of North America, you will have to purchase StreetMap Premium data from Esri or create your own network dataset.

Let us know if we can provide any further assistance.
0 Kudos
DavidPhares
New Contributor
First off, using the StreetMap roads, they have the speeds.  To gather drive time, you need to convert speed into Time.  Then when you solve, you will be able to get the whole drive time.

I'm new to Network Analyst.  I need to make a 4 minute travel model.  I've got the StreetMap data with the speeds.  What is the formula for converting speed into time and then how do I make that into a time-based impedance attribute that Network Analyst will recognize?
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
The formula to convert to minutes is:  (Speed/Miles)*60 - that's using VB

If you need to convert to miles: !shape.length@mile!  - that's using python

Then when you build the Network Dataset, you'll include the attribute Time.  And from there, the preferences for that specific route, go to analysis settings and from the drop-down menu change to Time(minutes) instead of Miles.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Streetmap data comes with the network dataset already built and ready to use and has the travel time attribute built. Are you not able to use that network dataset? You should not need to add a travel time field to your data.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos