Summing the total pedestrians who pass through a segment

04-07-2021 10:43 AM
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

I have a layer of number of people in every area as points . Say like Point A has 100 people and Point B has 1000 people. I would like to calculate the most congested route/ street in the network. I have succeeded to find how many every segments has been traversed by these points via closest facility tool. Now, Its know every segment how many times its been traversed but we need to know how many pedestrian who passed this segment. For example, if segment X has been traversed 3 times by point A= 100 pedestrian and B= 200 ped and C= 300 ped. This mean segment X should be passed by 600 people and so on. 

From the above mentioned explanation, is there any tool in network analyst could help to calculate pedestrians who pass through every segment or any other idea pls?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

It sounds like you already solved the Closest Facility problem and used the Copy Traversed Source Features tool to determine which road segments are used by each route. The output of that tool contains the Route ID. I think you should just be able to do a some combination of joins to join the population numbers to the Route IDs and use Summary Statistics tool to count the number of times each road segment is used multiplied by the population. Or some combination of those things.

MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

I have found how many times every segment has been used by the selection by location , between the original network ( segments layer) and the closest facility route layer.  Then , I used summary statistics as you mentioned. In this context, I would like to clarify that the number of people is known for the whole route not for every segment. Hence, how the whole route number can be calculated via every segment if possible?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I think you should check out the Copy Traversed Source Features tool. This might be a better option than Select By Location.

If I understand correctly, you are calculating a bunch of routes from a set of points to their closest facilities. The set of points has some attribute with the number of people in it.  When you solve the Closest Facility problem, each route is associated with the original input point. Can't you just do a join to transfer the "number of people" field into the output Routes?

Then, using Copy Traversed Source Features or a spatial join or whatever, you should be able to sum the number of people for each road segment since that field is already in the Routes table.

0 Kudos
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

Thanks Melinda for your answer

as you know that the output attribute data of the route layer include some data such as: FId, Shape, ObjectID, FcilityID, FacilityRA, Name, IncidentCU, FacilityCU, IncidentID, Total-leng, Shape-leng and RouteID. Hence, No data about people number will be attached to routes after running the model. Further, If I select to run "Copy Traversed Source Feature", this tool  does not run?

for that reason, both options does not help.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

What error message does the tool give you?

If you need specific help figuring out how to do the joins and getting the tool to run, you might have better luck contacting Esri Support or Support through the distributor in your country.

0 Kudos