Summing the number of pedestrians who pass through every segement

02-04-2021 10:30 AM
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

I have a layer of number of people in every area as points . Say like Point A has 100 people and Point B has 1000 people. I would like to calculate the most congested route/ street in the network. I have succeeded to find how many every segments has been traversed by these points via closest facility tool. Now, Its know every segment how many times its been traversed but we need to know how many pedestrian who passed this segment. For example, if segment X has been traversed 3 times by point A= 100 pedestrian and B= 200 ped and C= 300 ped. This mean segment X should be passed by 600 people and so on. 

From the above mentioned explanation, is there any tool in network analyst could help to calculate pedestrians who pass through every segment or any other idea pls?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

After calculating your routes, run the Copy Traversed Source Features tool. This tool creates an individual feature for each segment of the network dataset that is traveled upon, and it has a field indicating which route or facility it is used by.  You can do some joins to copy over the number of people from the original data. It also has the ObjectID of the network dataset source it is associated with. You can find all the traversed segments with that ObjectID and sum the number of people associated with each one.

0 Kudos
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

Thanks Melinda for your suggestion.. its much appreciated.

I followed your suggestion and uploaded the closest facility layer, however, its not executed properly. the message response as following :

MutebAlotaibi_0-1612551635629.png

any help to figure out ?

Many thanks in advance,

Muteb

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The problem is that your Closest Facility analysis is failing to solve because it has no incidents and facilities in it. You need to first configure your Closest Facility layer and add the desired inputs, then solve it. Once you are convinced that the results are as expected, then you can run Copy Traversed Source Features.

Here is a tutorial to help you learn how to set up a Closest Facility analysis: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/network-analyst/exercise-4-finding-the-closes...

0 Kudos
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

Now , it runs properly but the output is empty table??

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

This page explain the output of the Copy Traversed Source Features tool: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/network-analyst/copy-traversed-source-featur...

If the routes do not travel over edges, junctions, or turns, then the associated output table will be empty.

0 Kudos
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

Hi Melinda

Thanks for your concern .. But it seems this solution is the right one for my problem..?

is there any other solution?

0 Kudos