Slow loading of stop locations onto the network

05-15-2012 03:37 PM
SashikanthGurram1
New Contributor III
I am trying to load the stop locations onto the network in order to get the shortest routes that goes through these stop locations. I did this in the past and at that time the locations have loaded fairly fast. But then I had used the zlevel information to construct a new network and tried to load the same locations again. This time, the loading process is painfully slow. It is taking almost 9-10 hours to load around 8400 point locations onto the network. I am not sure what made the process to be slow this time around.

If you have any idea with regard to this issue, please share your thoughts.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Slow loading usually means that there is a missing spatial index or the existing index is bad.

You can try to use the normal identify of a feature on your network and see how fast that is. If that is also slow then it also points to a bad index. You will need to re-index or create an index on your street features.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
SashikanthGurram1
New Contributor III
Ok.

When I was doing this earlier, I used the shapefiles with only single projection system.

Now, I have used the roadway lengths and travel times to compute the short paths. For this I projected the roadway shapefiles. So, now I have shapefiles with GCS_WGS_1984 and NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_17N projection systems.

Do you think this is causing the issue? Further, how can I rebuild the spatial index? I have tried to re-build the spatial index for the projected shapefiles but could not find a recalculate button to re-build the spatial index.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
In the catalog, bring up the properties of the shape file. Then click on the Indexes tab. Towards the bottom right, it should have a way to add, delete, update the spatial index.
If you are unable to find this way, then you can use the GP tool to Add Spatial Index.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001700000060000000

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos