Setting order for each route in vehicle routing problem

05-27-2023 09:44 PM
HninSandarLwin
New Contributor

Dear Sir, 

I would like to ask some questions related with network analyst extension. 

In vehicle routing problem, I would like to give the order for my pick up location points. Therefore, how can I set orders which truck have to go orderly. 

The another question is Can I create more than one network dataset in the same geodatabase?

Thank you for your time. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

If an order has a specific truck that must pick it up you can use the assignment rule "Preserve Route" and then assign the appropriate route to RouteName. If you are using older versions of the software you will also have to assign a sequence value for that order.

If an order has a few of the trucks that it can be picked up by but not others then I would recommend giving it a specialty such as "TruckWithLadder." Trucks that meet that same criteria are also given that same specialty. This ensures that only those trucks are able to pick up that order. 

l_123aguilera
New Contributor II

Thank you for addressing this, I would not have thought to update software. I've been experiencing solve errors due to the Assignment Rule requiring a sequence order, I will try updating and see if it that is the issue. For context I'm working on snow plow optimization for a statewide fleet, so preparing a preassigned sequence is not feasible. 

0 Kudos
AlanHatakeyama
Esri Contributor

@HninSandarLwin wrote:

The another question is Can I create more than one network dataset in the same geodatabase?

Multiple network datasets can exist in the same geodatabase, but each network dataset must have its own set of feature classes and tables.  You cannot use the same feature classes or tables in multiple network dataset.

0 Kudos