Service Area Solve fails to create polygons after running for hours

06-05-2013 10:04 AM
BrianTraylor
New Contributor
I am attempting to create service areas for almost 3,000 points in Network Analyst. All of the facilities are loaded with a status of "OK".  When I try to "solve" the service areas, it works for a while and eventually stops with the "solve failed". The errors show "Warning: Location XX in "Facilities" is on a non-traversable network elemoent position" for a few dozen points.  My understanding from working with other facility data sets is that Network Analyst should be able to keep running and just move on to the next point.  I'm not sure why this is stopping the solve, as I have gotten "partial solve" in other circumstances.

I am attempting to create 2.5 mile, 5 mile, and 15 mile service areas for all of these points.  Based on other discussions, I am thinking this may be a memory issue. Is there something else I'm missing?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Most likely it is running into memory limitations for keeping all the 3000 service areas (and their street traversal in memory). What are the settings: generalized, detailed, etc. If you have the hierarchy ON then it should not have memory issues.
You can monitor the memory usage with the task manager and if it is a memory issue and you cannot use the hierarchy option then I suggest you take a look at enabling "chunking":
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/30760

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BrianTraylor
New Contributor
Thanks,

I have tried changing most of the settings, but currently they are set to generate generalized polygons with the trim to 100 meters on. I am creating overlapping ring polygons.  I don't know what "hierarchy ON" is though, so if I can make that change it sounds like my issue will be solved?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you network dataset has a hierarchy attribute then ArcGIS 10.1 service areas can use the hierarchy to speed up the process of generation of the service areas.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/What_s_new_in_ArcGIS_Network_Analyst/016w0...

ay Sandhu
0 Kudos