Return Traversed Route Segments from Closest Facility Network Analysis

08-02-2022 08:50 PM
uw2
by
New Contributor

Hello,

I ran a closest facility network analysis to identify the shortest routes between ten incidents/facilities in ArcGIS Pro. Along with the information on the overall route between each incident and facility, I also want to retrieve the information on the segments involved in each of the routes.

I thought that the 'Copy Traversed Source Features' could be used, but it is not working. When I select the 'Closest Facility' layer as the input network analysis layer, I get ERROR 030187 saying that 'This function cannot be used for service based network analysis layers'. 

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I may be able to solve it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The problem is that your Closest Facility layer references ArcGIS Online as the network data source.  Unfortunately, Copy Traversed Source Features does not work when using a service as the network data source because the traversed network features are not available as an output of services.  You can only run this tool if your network analysis layer uses a network dataset as the network data source.

0 Kudos
uw2
by
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply! I am not too familiar with ArcGIS, so I am not sure what you mean by "using a service". Does it have to do with the data I used to create the Closest Facility layer?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

When you create a Closest Facility layer, it must reference some network dataset or analysis service (like ArcGIS Online) as the network on which the analysis will be calculated.  In the Network Analysis drop-down on the Analysis tab, you will see at the top where it shows the network data source.  My guess is that if you were signed into ArcGIS Online, the network data source defaulted to ArcGIS Online as your network data source, and you did not change it, so your Closest Facility layer uses a service (ArcGIS Online) as the network data source.

Some further information: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/new-network-analysis-layer.htm

If you want to use Copy Traversed Source Features, you will need to either create your own network dataset from street centerlines, obtain one from your organization, or purchase one, such as Esri's Streetmap Premium product.

0 Kudos