Publish Vehicle Routing Geoprocessing Service

Jump to solution
09-05-2017 01:45 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

I want to be able to find the best route to a number of fire inspection sites on a given day by inspector.

It sounds like the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP) is what I need to publish as a Geoprocessing Service to our internal ArcGIS Server instance.

I have been looking for instructions on how to do this, but have not found a good tutorial.     One of the problems that may be inherent in the data is that it is not in the format needed.     It doesn't look as though I can map an existing layer to the input VRP depots.

Is there a way to field map the attributes from an input layer to the VRP layer?

Once I get over this hurdle, if possible,   I would like to use the routing service in Web AppBuilder.     This all sounds possible,  but I am not finding much to get started.

Thanks for any assistance,

Mele

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Mele,

You can start by looking at the help here:

http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/gp-service-example-network-analys...

Then look at this example for Service Areas:

Geoprocessing service example: Drive-time polygons—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can use the above example and replace the Generate Service Areas Tool with the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem tool in the GP model to publish the VRP service.

The Solve VRP tool does not support field mappings. You have to make sure the inputs match the schema of the depots parameters. Meaning, do the required field mappings as some sort of pre-processing in the GP model. Once the GP service is published, it can be used with the geoprocessing widget from the Web App Builder to create a custom app.

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Mele,

You can start by looking at the help here:

http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/gp-service-example-network-analys...

Then look at this example for Service Areas:

Geoprocessing service example: Drive-time polygons—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can use the above example and replace the Generate Service Areas Tool with the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem tool in the GP model to publish the VRP service.

The Solve VRP tool does not support field mappings. You have to make sure the inputs match the schema of the depots parameters. Meaning, do the required field mappings as some sort of pre-processing in the GP model. Once the GP service is published, it can be used with the geoprocessing widget from the Web App Builder to create a custom app.

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

RoseeleDahang
New Contributor

Hi Jay, I am also lost on VRP GP service, my apologies if my questions are unclear. (just started exploring ArcGis). 

From the VRP tutorial available on desktop.arcgis.com arcmap tutorials, I have manage to go through and understand the concept. When I tried to create a GPserver model for the solve vehicle route problem and set the orders, stores, routes as a model parameter (using the VRP schema). There was no available task under the published VRP GPServer. if using default solve vehicle route problem tools without setting model parameter in any of the params, there is a task generated under its GPServer.

Tools: ArcMap 10.5.1

Server Version: 10.2 

Please guide me through.

0 Kudos
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor

Hi Roseele,

Publishing from a newer version of ArcMap (10.5.1 in your case) to an older version of ArcGIS Server (such as 10.2) can result in issues because the tool can have new parameters in newer version of ArcGIS which will not be supported at older version.

So can you try publishing your model using the same version of ArcMap and ArcGIS Server? if you cannot upgrade your ArcGIS Server, it will be good to see if you can successfully publish your geoprocessing model using version 10.2 of ArcMap. If you still see issues, can you post the geoprocessing model you are using to publish the VRP service?

Thanks

Deelesh

RoseeleDahang
New Contributor

Hi Deelesh,

Thank you. It works fine when I published it to my local 10.5.1 Server.

Regards,

Sel

0 Kudos