Publish a custom Network Dataset to one's Portal?

Jump to solution
09-25-2018 02:32 PM
PaulBarth1
New Contributor II

Is it possible to publish a custom Network Dataset to one's Portal? I want to use network analysis tools like "Create Drive-Time Areas" and "Plan Routes", etc. in my Portal, but I want to use my own Network Dataset rather than the default road network that's in Portal/AGOL.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

So, I'm going to make some assumptions here and you can tell me if I'm wrong.

1) I'm assuming that your Portal is federated with your server

2) I'm assuming that you have the Network Analyst license for Server and Portal

You can publish the routing service in 2 main ways, either as a Network Analysis service or as a geoprocessing service that uses Network Analyst. Route, Closest Facility and Service Area analyses can be published as NA services. All of the analyses can be published as geoprocessing services that use NA. Network analysis services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

See this link for how to publish NA services Tutorial: Publish a network analysis service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Check this link for how to publish a geoprocessign service A quick tour of publishing a geoprocessing service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

If going the geoprocessing service route, you can use the tools in the Network Analyst toolbox->Server toolset to create the models.

Once you have the services published, you'll need to register them with the Portal as utility service. See this link for how to do that Configure utility services—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Rachel

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

So, I'm going to make some assumptions here and you can tell me if I'm wrong.

1) I'm assuming that your Portal is federated with your server

2) I'm assuming that you have the Network Analyst license for Server and Portal

You can publish the routing service in 2 main ways, either as a Network Analysis service or as a geoprocessing service that uses Network Analyst. Route, Closest Facility and Service Area analyses can be published as NA services. All of the analyses can be published as geoprocessing services that use NA. Network analysis services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

See this link for how to publish NA services Tutorial: Publish a network analysis service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Check this link for how to publish a geoprocessign service A quick tour of publishing a geoprocessing service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

If going the geoprocessing service route, you can use the tools in the Network Analyst toolbox->Server toolset to create the models.

Once you have the services published, you'll need to register them with the Portal as utility service. See this link for how to do that Configure utility services—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Rachel

PaulBarth1
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! Follow up question: Is there a way to use a real-time traffic feed with a custom Network Dataset in ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap, or to use a real-time traffic feed with a Geoprocessing Service that uses Network Analyst? Right now I have historical traffic, but I am wondering if it's possible to do network analysis with live traffic. Any resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos