Prohibited combination of specialties for one route (VRP)

11-29-2011 02:43 AM
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to introduce multiple capacities for orders which would be used as Boolean parameters.

Consider having 8 cars that may transport four different types of goods: food, fragile products, clothes, and woods. I would like to prohibit loading any car with certain combinations - for example, if a car is loaded with 1 food unit, then it is not allowed to load it with clothes. If fragile products are loaded, no woods can be added.

I thought first to use SpecialtyNames field, but then I realized that then I should devote each car a certain type(s) of goods which is not a thing I really want to do.

Can you think of any feasible solution of converting this abstract concept into concrete defition of the Capacities field in the Orders layer? Maybe there are other ways to do that without using Capacities field at all?

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi Alexey,

This problem can not be solved using additional capacity dimensions.  You may have to define specialties for each order type, and create routes for each allowable combination of specialties.  For flexibility, the total number of routes should be more than the actual number of available vehicles, but the solver would hopefully not use all the routes.

In general, the VRP solver is not designed to solve incompatible order problems, so the suggested solution might not work well.

Thanks.

Anna
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Thank you very much, Anna. I will try to test creating multiple Routes to match all possible combinations of good types. 🙂 at least, I have something to try.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Thank you very much, Anna. I will try to test creating multiple Routes to match all possible combinations of goods types. 🙂 at least, I have something to try.
0 Kudos